Koodo Community
Solved

Continuous phantom charges

Koodo's billing is working hard to make up charges to stick on my account. Some examples from the past 12 months:

April 2021 - Charged $21.70 for calls within Canada. I'm on an unlimited Canadian calling plan. WTF?

March 2022 - Somehow a "$3 1000min International LD Add-on” was added to my account. Charged for 3 months before I noticed it. Did not get any email notification there was any change to my account when this was added, makes it even more suspicious.  

May 2022 - One of our phones started "roaming" in the US when on a ferry from Vancouver to Victoria, $11 charged.

That's $41.70 in the past 12 months of phantom charges, is anyone else experiencing this many incorrect charges being added to their account? I’m on a budget carrier to keep costs down and this is doing the opposite.

icon

Best answer by Chris Koodo 19 May 2022, 14:56

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For Apr 2021. Did you change your plan around that time? What was the area code you got changed for? Did you contact Koodo about it?

For Mar 2022. If you check your PDF EBill, they gave you heads-up notification for increasing fee for the 1000min International LD Add-on. If you don't want/need this add-on, you can remove it through self serve.

May 2022. Your phone must picked up strong US signal. You can contact Koodo and ask them to adjust the charge.

Thanks Mayumi,

Yes in April 2021 I changed plans from a 500 mins free + free evening and weekends plan to unlimited calling.

The are codes I was charged for are 604, 778, 1-800. Not only that but 3 of the calls were after 5pm.

For the March 2022 charges it wasn’t an in increase in fee, it was for a brand new Add on that I never added nor authorized. I had to go into my account, find it and un select it. When I did that I got a notification it was turned off, but I never got a notification when this started in March and I never set this up. 

For the US signal  yes I know I it picked up a strong US signal. However this is in an area / route thousands of people take each week, and most of Canada lives close along the US boarder. It was a false positive that they are quick to charge but will take me hours to have a $11 charge reversed. 

No I haven’t bothered to contact them about these issues, I don’t have the time to spend hours on the phone arguing. These occurred on for 3 separate bills so would have to contact 3 times about these.

It’s frustrating that for such a big company, to have so many billing issues with almost no way of reversing without a huge amount of time spent on my part. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So April's issue is a known glitch what sometimes happens with a plan change. 

For the March issue Mayumi is correct. This was a free add-on (likely added during sign up). After sometime koodo increases the price from $0 to $3. You may have not noticed in the last since it's always been $0. But the notification is always on the last page of the detailed pdf ebill prior to the $3 Increase.

For the may issue it is based solely on how the phone connects to the towers. Most people who live or travel near the boarder set their networks manually to prevent this.

I want to say that these 3 incidents seem like they could be resolved relatively easily (now with 1 call). I know it seems like you have been targeted but all 3 issues are not that uncommon and we see it in the community all the time. It's just bad luck you seem to have gotten all 3 in 3 months.

It's up to you how you want to proceed. If you are truly u happy you can always port to a different provider. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Jayson5 - I can definitely understand not wanting to be on the phone with customer service for ages. That’s actually why we created our Koodo Virtual Assistant. Form there you could actually schedule a callback at a time that is convenient for you and alleviate any hold time. 

With that said, the issues you experienced wouldn't have required any “arguing”  and could have been resolved relatively easily. 

Issue 1: The airtime overage back in April 2021 was indeed a glitch during the plan change. It was caused by a slight delay from the moment the old plan was removed and the new plan put back on. I went ahead and applied a credit for the $21.70

Issue 2: I looked over your account and you actually had that add on since March 15th 2020.  If you look on your February invoice, you should see the following notice at the end of the pdf.

Update to your 1000 International Long Distance Minutes feature. Starting in March 2022, your feature rate will increase from $0 to $3. In accordance with the
service terms, you accept the change by continuing to use the service. If you do not agree with this change, you may cancel your feature without penalty within
30 days of the effective date of the change.

For this reason, we aren’t able to apply a credit for this however, I can see that you already went into Self Serve to have the add on removed. You won’t be charged for the add on moving forward.

Issue 3: I can clearly see the accidental roaming that occured on May 15th. Based on the data log I can see that your phone picked up the Verizon tower for 2 min before connecting back to Telus. Unfortunately, this happens and there isn’t much we could do to stop it other than the recommendations that were given to you above (setting manual network instead of automatic). I went ahead and applied a credit for this charge as well. 

Happy to help!

Userlevel 6

Good for you Chris, I would say that is called real good Customer Service !

Thanks Chris and Dennis, appreciate it. 

I’ve been a Koodo customer for 8+ years and not looking to change. Just frustrated  that when issues come up they have been traditionally time consuming to deal with.