Koodo Community

Changing a Rate Plan treated the same as first bill?

• 23 December 2021
  • 9 replies

Im frustrated because i changed my plan midway through my bill cycle and i understand the prorated amounts, but I do not understand being charged a full month's rate ON TOP of the prorated charge. For example my plan was $60 for 15gigs/ mnth and i changed it to $55 for 15gigs/ mnth. How then am i being charged $30 plus $55 for one month? The date range for both rates is dec. 8- jan. 7. Thats a total of $85 for that time period. Ive tried to make sense of it, it makes absolutely none to me. I was only halfway through my data usage when i switched plans and was granted almost the same amount until my next cycle begins. So they are providing me almost identical service, which should be $5 less, but instead im paying $25 more. It is not my first bill! This is crazy to me can anyone help before i call them with my frustrations? Thank you

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah...the date range is identical for the two? And there’s no crediting? Can you post a pic of page 3 of your bill with personal info blocked out?

To clarify, it would make sense to me for my bill to be $30 plus $27.50, so 57.50. Thanks

Oh thank you for the quick response. I cannot sgow this bill yet as it wont be issued until jan.8th, these figured afe based on what it told me online on my selfserve after i changed the plan, laying out what charges to expect. It did specify those two charges i mentiined and yes both within the same date range. Perhaps im too premature with this inquiry and need to wait for my bill? Was just trying to get ahead ofthe issue. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah I see. I would wait for the bill. It should have prorated properly as per your calculation, but failing that, it should also do it for your bill once it generates. If it doesn’t, or there aren’t appropriate credits you see, please do come back here and post a pic of page 3 and we can take it from there.

Thanks so much, i will wait and see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you change your plan mid billing cycle, you will also be refunded the price of the old plan for the prorated period.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@alebro You can take a look how billing will be treated as you have made rate plan changes for all your lines at the end of November as well.  Your December bill shows the partial credits for the previous plans. I can assure you there is no overcharge whatsoever, given the nature of mobile industry around the world, carriers bill one month in advance for plans. 

The good news is that in the past month or so you were able to switch to plans that costs you less while getting significantly more data! I hope this helps!

Thanks i went and checked it, I couldnt yesterday because it was an upside down ice cream cone 'whoops'. I see how it is correct on the bill last time i switched plans mid cycle. Doesnt change how horribly it was outlined on my self serve when i changed my plan yesterday, very misleading. And saying i was able to switch plans and get significantly more data is a stretch. I got 2 extra gigs of data. Pretty minor. And the fact that i had to just change my plan is ridiculous because it is the EXACT same plan, but 5 dollars less than last month. And i cannot get the best plan because it is only offered as a promotion to new customers, which is a slap in the face to longtime loyal customers. So overall, koodo is okay, but lots of room for a better customer experience. Thank you for your time/ reply. Take care 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s common practice to offer the best promo plans for new customers. Usually Koodo allows the same plans if you do a tab upgrade, but not always. From what I’ve seen, Fido and Virgin are more likely to give you a promo plan if you call in and ask, but Koodo can still...YMMV. OVerall it’s a common industry wide standard. It’s one reason why you shouldn’t be brand loyal here. You can always try to see if the plan will be given to you, but if denied, I see no reason not to then go and look for a better deal elsewhere. It also opens up the possibility of accessing “winback” plans.