Koodo Community
Question

$60 Connection Fee

• 25 August 2023
  • 4 replies

I recently opened a Koodo account. I am a new resident to Canada, so maybe there’s some issues with my IDs/addresses/etc but when I tried registering online, it would process and complete, but then 1 day later I’d get an email saying my order was cancelled because my identity couldn’t be verified.

When I called Koodo support, the customer rep told me I had no choice but to go in store to activate my account. When I asked him about the connection fee, he assured me that the $60 fee would be waived for me because I had no other choice except to go in store.

On my 1st bill, I see the $60 on my bill. When I call Koodo support, this time the customer rep tells me there’s no way to get it waived, and there’s no record or note on my account saying that the fee could be waived. Well of course there’s no note, because I did not have an account at the time I called in the first time. 

I feel like I’ve been “tricked” into opening a Koodo account. If I hadn’t been assured by the rep that the fee could be waived, I would never have opened an account with Koodo, and instead gone with a different provider with a cheaper or no fee.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That first conversation with rep was strange. Rep generally can't promise any activation fee waived unless they could do at the time or if there was a promotion. 

At this point in time, I don't think rep could do anything as you didn't have a conversation with the first rep recorded or noted somewhere. You could try to return and cancel the line if you are not happy with Koodo.

There’s no point cancelling the line since I’ve already paid the $60, why would I waste that now. And the fact that I don’t have the first conversation recorded. It’s not a habit of mine to record my phone calls with customer service, especially when I assumed what the rep was telling me was common policy at the time.

The fact is that one of Koodo’s employees misrepresented the facts, and I would’ve hoped that a large company like Koodo would just waive the fee or credit my account just for goodwill.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sadly, Canadian carriers are not exactly known for their goodwill, more for their greed. That said they aren't monsters either, so you might try scheduling a callback and discuss your situation with a rep 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The site is currently down for maintenance until 4pm today but you can review the CRTC’s mobile service trial period page then so you can make the most informed decision during your callback.