Koodo Community
News

What is Call Control?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Call Control is a free and optional feature that lets you filter your incoming calls and helps reduce those unwanted spam calls no one likes to answer. Once this feature is turned on, incoming callers will be prompted to enter a randomly-generated number (0-9) which they must enter correctly before the call can be connected.

You will also be able to personalize and manage your own list of phone numbers to block/authorize via Self Serve. Click here for more information.

22 replies

I have a Koodo prepaid account. Can I use Call Control? The steps in the article you linked to don’t seem to apply:

“You can add Call Control through Self Serve. Login to your account and under the Self Serve tab, go to “Mobile services,” find “Call Control,” and click “Manage.” This will route you to the Call Control page where you will be able to add Call Control to your account and turn it on and off. “

When logged in as a Prepaid Customer, there is no “Mobile services” option under Self-Serve.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have a Koodo prepaid account. Can I use Call Control? The steps in the article you linked to don’t seem to apply:

When logged in as a Prepaid Customer, there is no “Mobile services” option under Self-Serve.

It is applied to Postpaid customers only, as of now.

1. Call Control is a free and optional feature that lets you filter your incoming calls and helps reduce those unwanted spam calls no one likes to answer. Once this feature is turned on, incoming callers will be prompted to enter a randomly-generated number (0-9) which they must enter correctly before the call can be connected.

You will also be able to personalize and manage your own list of phone numbers to block/authorize via Self Serve. For more information please visit: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/call-control?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=call%20control 

I just got charged $15 this month for spam calls I did not answer but was charged against me regardless as “call forward” by my husband, who did not call me as we were physically together.

1) Would this feature help reduce this kind of calls and therefore this kind of erroneous charges?
    2) Is there anything Koodo has been doing to prevent such call frauds?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1. Call Control is a free and optional feature that lets you filter your incoming calls and helps reduce those unwanted spam calls no one likes to answer. Once this feature is turned on, incoming callers will be prompted to enter a randomly-generated number (0-9) which they must enter correctly before the call can be connected.

You will also be able to personalize and manage your own list of phone numbers to block/authorize via Self Serve. For more information please visit: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/call-control?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=call%20control 

I just got charged $15 this month for spam calls I did not answer but was charged against me regardless as “call forward” by my husband, who did not call me as we were physically together.

1) Would this feature help reduce this kind of calls and therefore this kind of erroneous charges?
    2) Is there anything Koodo has been doing to prevent such call frauds?

Call forwarding is another  service, it isn’t free . If you setup “call forwarding” you would be charged for the minutes by the payperuse rate if you don’t have the call forwarding add-on ($3).  Call forwarding would forward all calls  (spam or not) to the other number.

Hence I would suggest you to add the add-on $3 “Call forwarding” in your selfserve to cover the call forwarding fee in the future https://www.koodomobile.com/add-ons?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_Addons

Have tried Call control but it won't take me past the log in page. Keeps kicking me out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have tried Call control but it won't take me past the log in page. Keeps kicking me out.

Have you successfully logged into self serve in the past?

I can log into self serve no problem, but can't access call control. Trying to input some blocked callers but can't get try past initial screen. Keeps taking me out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I can log into self serve no problem, but can't access call control. Trying to input some blocked callers but can't get try past initial screen. Keeps taking me out.

Try clearing your browser cache and try again.  Also try using a different browser if that doesnt work

I have the same problem with both Firefox and Edge browsers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have the same problem with both Firefox and Edge browsers.

In that case, i would send a private message to Koodo via facebook or twitter and a rep will need to look into your account,

Is this feature available for wireless home phone plans?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is this feature available for wireless home phone plans?

Is there a setup time needed before Call Control settings can be accessed?
The service is indeed working; I’ve had a family member call me to confirm it, but I can’t figure out how to add their number to my authorized list - whether from my phone or the self-serve website.

Whenever I try to access the “manage” section for Call Control in the self-serve panel, it simply gives me a page explaining what the function is and a button to “Start using Call Control”.

For what it’s worth, whenever I try to access the settings, the page refreshes three times for no reason before giving me that explanation page. This happens both with my adblocker turned on and off on Google Chrome.

Is there a setup time needed before Call Control settings can be accessed?
The service is indeed working; I’ve had a family member call me to confirm it, but I can’t figure out how to add their number to my authorized list - whether from my phone or the self-serve website.

Whenever I try to access the “manage” section for Call Control in the self-serve panel, it simply gives me a page explaining what the function is and a button to “Start using Call Control”.

For what it’s worth, whenever I try to access the settings, the page refreshes three times for no reason before giving me that explanation page. This happens both with my adblocker turned on and off on Google Chrome.

Nevermind. Seems it just needed some time before it could be accessed. The page just started working all of a sudden after ~20min.

The feature needs to be updated. It is  full of bugs. Moreover, it only allows you to list or input a limited number of phone numbers or contacts to be blocked. 

Userlevel 4

So far I have had no issues with call control.

I was just browsing the call-control information and did not activated the option. But I got an email saying the call control service added. This is without me activating the services. Is my account have the call-contol option activated or the email is in error?

Is there a way to add more than 25 numbers to the Blocked Callers list? I have been getting a ridiculous number of spam calls over the last month or so and the numbers often change, so 25 numbers is not enough.

How can I automatically add all numbers from my address book?

How do I add international numbers to my authorized callers list?

Tried today

• turned on the feature https://www.koodomobile.com/my-account/call-control
  • if I call my cell phone from my home phone which is not an authorized caller, I am not even proposed to enter a number. Does not work!
  • Once added, I can connect normally.
  • you have to enter the numbers one by one, no way to paste in a text window a list of numbers
  • The message telling that the account is protected is in English. We are in 2022. What about a bilingual E/F message? I have family not speaking English. Just plan stupid

A total waste. Thanks Koodo

Userlevel 2

I recently enabled this on my account.

I was under the assumption that any caller could press the number required and get a hold of me if they did.

Well, it doesn't work like that apparently?

My landlord had to send me an email because she couldn't get a hold of me by phone later that day.

I setup a callback with Koodo to ask why the calls weren't going through and I was told that even if a caller presses the number required, it sends them to voicemail, unless they are on the approved list.

What is the point of this service then?

If someone presses the right number it should connect them to me!

I thought the approved list was just for known people who you wanted to skip the prompt?