Koodo Community
Question

Call from "telus" offering "discount"

Hi everyone, I just got a phone call from somebody saying that because I've been a "Telus mobility" customer for a long time I qualify for "the discount."

It sounded like a scam so I ended the conversation. Was any part of that call legit?

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there,

when it comes to discounts with telus (and most mobile carriers) they tend not to give them unless you’re getting another service or there is currently a promotion going on to reduce the price of say a new phone if your upgrading. For telus especially most of the discounts are for if you add lines to the account they will take off an amount based on how many you add. I believe in this case it was probably a scam and you did the right thing 🙂 alternatively if you wish to be double sure you can always call telus’s customer care line and ask and see if it was legit. For more information on phishing calls and texts check out this link from telus’s website https://www.telus.com/en/about/security/phishing-spam

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @StevenG 

Can you please share the phone number that called you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Even if it was legit, I wouldn't give out any information about me.

If you received same/ similar calls, tell them put the note about those offer on your account. Then if you are interested, you are the make phone call to get a deal.

Hi @StevenG 

Can you please share the phone number that called you?

Hi Flo, the number was 1-403-851-6530. It seems like it was a scam. I'm glad I trusted my instincts. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Even if the number is legit, they can be spoofed.

I would tell whoever calls, to note the promo on your account and you will reach out to Koodo via the official channels

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @StevenG 

Thanks for sharing!

This doesn’t seem to one of our numbers indeed.

As @Dennis suggested, it’s a good idea to ask the caller noting your Koodo account, and you can then schedule a call back to confirm the offer. A legit Koodo rep should be able to note the offer into your account.

We have checked on our end your Koodo account and didn’t a note documented about the offer.

More about know scams you can find here