Koodo Community
Solved

New $5 Service Charge

• 16 January 2023
  • 44 replies

I recently got an email today about a new $5 charge that is going to start appearing on my bill next month?

Email Message below.

As we mentioned on your January bill, the monthly 
service charge for the above lines on your account will 
increase by $5/month. You’ll start to see this monthly 
increase on your February bill.

Anyone else getting charged this random $5 fee all of a sudden? Kinda seems a bit of a money grab since our phone were just paid off a few months ago now they are tacking on this random $5 after being a loyal customer! 

icon

Best answer by Chris Koodo 16 January 2023, 23:57

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

44 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It is not a random fee.  It is a price increase.  Your monthly plan is going up by $5.

What is your current monthly plan right now?

My plan is below, but my wife has the same plan and no increase.

$50-00
per month
Unlimited Canada-wide minutes
12 GB of Shock-Free Data at 4G LTE speed
Unlimited international messaging
12 GB of Shock-Free Data at 4G LTE speed
Unlimited Canada-wide minutes
Call Display
Voicemail
Call Waiting and Conference Calling
Additional data $13/100 MB
Unlimited international messaging (text & picture)*

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How long have you and your wife been on this plan?

DO either of you have a phone on a tab with koodo?

Been with them for about 3+ years. Phone Tabs were both paid off in Nov so just the plan now.

We received the same email.  Are all plans going up $5 or just the $50 one because Ill switch to the $55 plan with more data if thats the case.  

I also cant access January’s bill that states this change.  Says not working. 🤦‍♀️

It almost seems like they are trying to push people to the $55 plans either by making them upgrade the plan or by just putting on the $5 charge. Seems a bit deceitful. 

I have a $50/month plan, hubby has a $55/month plan. New $5 extra “service fee” (for what service if I have to ask the Koodo community about it???) is only being added to my plan.  None of this makes sense and I’m willing to drop Koodo and a cellphone for that matter. $60/year for service you’d still have to pay to use?

I have a $50/month plan, hubby has a $55/month plan. New $5 extra “service fee” (for what service if I have to ask the Koodo community about it???) is only being added to my plan.  None of this makes sense and I’m willing to drop Koodo and a cellphone for that matter. $60/year for service you’d still have to pay to use?

Same here, only my plan has it but wifes does not. And it doesnt indicate clearly for what service?? Noting has changed. Im happy with my plan, I dont need to upgrade for the extra $5 a month for more data, but instead since I want to sit tight they are throwing on this so called “Service Fee”. 😡

Hello,

I got the same email as well saying they’re increasing it by $5 and that it was “mentioned in my January bill” when no such mention is given. What kind of scam is that ? How do you call these ppl? Because I aint paying nothing.

Same here, only my plan has it but wifes does not. And it doesnt indicate clearly for what service?? Noting has changed. Im happy with my plan, I dont need to upgrade for the extra $5 a month for more data, but instead since I want to sit tight they are throwing on this so called “Service Fee”. 😡

AND! I’ve just checked my most recent bill, nothing to indicate there is to be an increase. 

Hello,

I got the same email as well saying they’re increasing it by $5 and that it was “mentioned in my January bill” when no such mention is given. What kind of scam is that ? How do you call these ppl? Because I aint paying nothing.

I had to schedule a callback. Lunchtime tomorrow was the soonest…

Exactly there is no mention of this on my bill at all ! If I want more data I’ll ask for it, not have it forced down on me. Excuse my language but that’s bs. I’m gonna schedule a call back with these clowns and have them explain, because this is not legal.

Another thing that really burns me is that I no longer “qualify” for any cheaper plans. The only options I have are $55, $60 & $65. And the first two have less data than I’ve got. 

Exactly there is no mention of this on my bill at all ! If I want more data I’ll ask for it, not have it forced down on me. Excuse my language but that’s bs. I’m gonna schedule a call back with these clowns and have them explain, because this is not legal.

I’ve put in a call at my local Koodo store. I’ll let you know if they can tell me anything (they’re mostly Telus with a little Koodo section)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Prices go up over time.  If your plan is older and you are not on a tab, then there is a chance your plan may increase.  If anything, the frequency of this happens more greatly on Fido and Virgin.  Koodo never used to increase plan rates, but has been doing this occasionally over the last few years.

My advice is to shop around and find the best plan that works for you.

I’ve put in a call at my local Koodo store. I’ll let you know if they can tell me anything (they’re mostly Telus with a little Koodo section)

Hi Brandy,

Ok perfect thank you! I’ll be scheduling a call with them as well. And I’m sorry to hear you don’t qualify for cheaper plans. Something is not right here, and just two days ago Marketplace put out a documentary asking why are Canadian phone plans so expensive. All scammers. Koodo is gonna hear it from me believe me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you download your detailed PDF ebill?  It should be in the notes on one of the last few pages.

Prices go up over time.  If your plan is older and you are not on a tab, then there is a chance your plan may increase.  If anything, the frequency of this happens more greatly on Fido and Virgin.  Koodo never used to increase plan rates, but has been doing this occasionally over the last few years.

My advice is to shop around and find the best plan that works for you.

You may be a “mobile master” but I have a law degree and I’m telling u for a fact that email I received, especially lying that it was mentioned on my January bill, to increase my bill is illegal and may very well contravene the Consumer Protection Act here in QC. So we don’t need a “mobile master” to tell us otherwise. 

Hi Brandy,

Ok perfect thank you! I’ll be scheduling a call with them as well. And I’m sorry to hear you don’t qualify for cheaper plans. Something is not right here, and just two days ago Marketplace put out a documentary asking why are Canadian phone plans so expensive. All scammers. Koodo is gonna hear it from me believe me. 

Keep us all posted on what they say! Glad im not the only one who got the notice.

Hi Brandy,

Keep us all posted on what they say! Glad im not the only one who got the notice.

Hi Mitch,

Yes for sure will post an update here for everyone to see! Take care. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m telling u for a fact that email I received, especially lying that it was mentioned on my January bill, to increase my bill is illegal and may very well contravene the Consumer Protection Act here in QC. So we don’t need a “mobile master” to tell us otherwise. 

Well, I received a same email. Notified me to increase one of my line. It says " As we mentioned on your January bill", but I haven't received my January bill yet. It's not generated/ updated yet.

So, once it updated then I may find this "note". It usually very bottom of the page.

If you don't agree with the price increase, then you can shopp around as Dennis suggested. Or choose different plan or even move to prepaid. Option is yours.

BTW, Koodo increased most of grandfathered plan last year. We don't like it, but price increase happens. 

We are just here to help people. You mentioned it's illegal. But once Koodo notified increase notice on the bill, it's not illegal. That's why Dennis asked you if you checked your PDF EBill. Unfortunately some of us not received January bill yet. And Dennis didn't know that.

It almost seems like they are trying to push people to the $55 plans either by making them upgrade the plan or by just putting on the $5 charge. Seems a bit deceitful. 

It does mention that at the bottom of your bill in itty bitty writing of course, but they don’t say why. This is ridiculous. 

Just for those asking it they did mentioned in the January bill right at the very bottom. But it doesnt give mention to what the Service increase is for.

I think a bit more explanation is all we are looking for from them. I get it that plans increase for whatever reason, but you cant just slap the label “Service Charge” on it. You should provide details. Thats all we want is a reason why. Inflation, increasing employee wages, CEO wants a new boat etc. Just be clear and transparent. Then we can be more comfortable with if we choose to stay, upgrade or leave thats all.

Update to your monthly rate plan.

Update to your monthly rate plan. Starting in February 2023, your monthly rate plan fee will increase from $50 to $55. In accordance with the service terms, you accept the change by continuing to use the service. If you do not agree with this change, you may cancel your service without penalty within 30 days of the effective date of the change. If you recently changed or upgraded your plan, please disregard this message.

I’m telling u for a fact that email I received, especially lying that it was mentioned on my January bill, to increase my bill is illegal and may very well contravene the Consumer Protection Act here in QC. So we don’t need a “mobile master” to tell us otherwise. 

Well, I received a same email. Notified me to increase one of my line. It says " As we mentioned on your January bill", but I haven't received my January bill yet. It's not generated/ updated yet.

So, once it updated then I may find this "note". It usually very bottom of the page.

If you don't agree with the price increase, then you can shopp around as Dennis suggested. Or choose different plan or even move to prepaid. Option is yours.

BTW, Koodo increased most of grandfathered plan last year. We don't like it, but price increase happens. 

We are just here to help people. You mentioned it's illegal. But once Koodo notified increase notice on the bill, it's not illegal. That's why Dennis asked you if you checked your PDF EBill. Unfortunately some of us not received January bill yet. And Dennis didn't know that.

Comment deleted by moderator for violating our Community Guidelines - Chris Koodo

Userlevel 1

Same thing with me, I have 12 gb for $50 a month going up to $55 , phone tab just paid off in November. I would like less gb at a cheaper price as I barely use this phone but there is nothing to pick from other than higher priced plans. I hear a lot of complaints about Koodo , and I'm getting tired of their games also ,looking to go elsewhere as are many people that I know