Koodo Community
Solved

Wifi calling worked (for years) now it doesn't

• 4 June 2023
  • 7 replies

I live rurally and cell service is really not a thing here, so wifi calling has been a godsend.

To make it work:

I turn off wifi calling in settings on my iphone 11.

Then I reset network settings.

Once the phone is back on, I first turn off cellular data, then once wifi  is restored, toggle wifi calling back on.

This method has mostly worked like a charm. Keeping the cellular off prevents the phone from searching in vain for a cell signal that will never be strong enough for an actual call (if cellular’s left on, occasionally the phone will “think” that the signal is strong enough, but it never actually is). 

To my question: despite numerous iterations of the above resets, including updating to the latest ios, I cannot make wifi calling work at all. The cell signal either says “no service” or “SOS only,” not “Koodo Wifi” as it should.

Please advise! Thanks! 

icon

Best answer by Whatwhatwhatwhat 7 June 2023, 22:18

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Normally, you shouldn’t have to reset network settings and turn off cellular data. What I simply did was to turn on Airplane mode. Reset network settings might turn off your wifi calling settings and without any Koodo network signal, your phone might not get proper wifi calling activation.

I would suggest you to find a location where you have access to Koodo signal (and wifi) and turn on wifi calling there. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling After that, you could turn on airplane mode but keep wifi on to see if wifi calling can be triggered

Hi, thanks for your suggestions.

I've experimented with airplane mode, Wifi calling definitely doesn't work with it engaged (not now, nor ever in the past). 

Resetting network settings has worked in the past, however no matter WHAT I've tried today, including the suggestions you've made, wifi calling still doesn't come on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi, thanks for your suggestions.

I've experimented with airplane mode, Wifi calling definitely doesn't work with it engaged (not now, nor ever in the past). 

Resetting network settings has worked in the past, however no matter WHAT I've tried today, including the suggestions you've made, wifi calling still doesn't come on. 

Airplane mode (Wifi must be ON) is working for me all the time on both Android devices and iPhones. It worked on other carriers also. This is the 1st time I actually heard that reset network setting was needed to enable wifi calling.

Did you recently change your plan or upgrade your phone by any chance? As well, can you reset your wifi network? I am wondering if the issue was from wifi ISP.

As well, can you turn wifi calling off in settings and on again.

Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes, airplane mode on, with wifi also on (that doesn't work on my phone; it never has).

No change to phone or phone plan. I updated the os, but that was after having the problem with wifi calling, not before. 

Wifi calling ceasing to work just happened out of the blue with no precipitating incident that I can think of.

I've turned wifi calling off & on in Settings so many times!

Nothing seems to be working. My phone is now useless for phone calls unless I leave my house and drive some distance away from here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes, airplane mode on, with wifi also on (that doesn't work on my phone; it never has).

No change to phone or phone plan. I updated the os, but that was after having the problem with wifi calling, not before. 

Wifi calling ceasing to work just happened out of the blue with no precipitating incident that I can think of.

I've turned wifi calling off & on in Settings so many times!

Nothing seems to be working. My phone is now useless for phone calls unless I leave my house and drive some distance away from here.

Do you have another device to test the SIM card? As well, can you go to another place that have good Koodo signal and wifi to test it out?

Just to double check, could you go into your selfserve check the add-on of your plan, could you see the “VoLTE access add-on” there?

The VoLTE access add-on is there. 

Yes, I can test the sim card and can do so in another location. 

Final resolve: I called Koodo tech support and they fixed it at their end. It was never going to be something I could fix, apparently. 

Thanks to those who offered advice on this thread.