Koodo Community
Question

Why does my phone suddenly say I'm roaming all the time?

• 11 October 2023
  • 5 replies

All of a sudden my phone says that it is roaming all the time. I never have the roaming feature turned on because I don’t want to get charged for it. I do live on south Vancouver Island (which is why I don’t have the roaming on because if you go near the west coast you get charged), but nothing has changed. I’m in the same location I have been in for years without issue. It’s just all of a sudden the network seems different. I can’t get any answers from support, which has been worse than useless. But honestly, nothing seems to be working well on my network and I’m about done with paying $50 a month for useless service. Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @SeSimmons .  Wow that’s a head-scratcher.  Let’s start with the quick and easy thing: have you already tried rebooting your phone?  If not, I’d suggest giving that a try and see if that helps.  

If still showing roaming, what phone make and model are you using?

Hi Srlawren, do you mean a restart or a factory reset? I haven’t done a reset, but I have restarted lots and have pulled the SIM card to check etc. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It is not uncommon to see customer had issue with accidental roaming recently in the forum. I recommend you disable automatic carrier selection in your cell phone and manually select Koodo. That would help to avoid accidental roaming issue when you travel near US border.. This link might help as well

In the mean time, I will flag a rep to look into the roaming fee.

I'm having this same issue. Constantly says I am roaming and when I switch to Koodo network it constantly asks if it should search for a network. This only started happening in the last week.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@SeSimmons have you tried to switch to manual network as @Dinh suggested?

Does your phone find the Koodo network when switching to manual? Have you tried the sim on a different device?

@Gertie Coordinator Did you try a network settings reset in your phone settings? Does it happen for all the lines on your account? Also, does it happen everywhere in the area?