Skip to main content
Solved

New Phones

• 4 July 2024
  • 6 replies

I ordered new phones yesterday from samsung, I know how to transfer our content from old to new phones, samsung makes it very easy. Used samsung smart switch before. 

My question is we currently have samsung s5 neo's (bought from koodo) upgrading to s24's, will we need new sim cards? Or do I have to wait to see if the sim cards will fit? No instructions needed, my husband's sim card came loose once and I had to open the phone to fix the sim.

Also, if the cards fit, will koodo automatically stop charging the $3 fee for the old phones technology?

I don't want to call since they end up charging $15, I didn't know about that fee until we were charged in December for calling to switch our plan.

TIA

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there,

the s5 neo had used a “micro” SIM card instead of the now standard “nano” size. If you take out your existing sim, see if you can just push it out to the smaller size, if not, then you will need a new sim. After switching to a 4G capable device, the $3 charge will automatically come off your account after 30 days of using the new phone. I’ll include a link with an info graphic of the SIM card sizes as well as instructions on how to change the sims in self serve if you get new ones (you will need to do this before inserting them in the new devices) 🙂👍

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/koodo-sim-support

Userlevel 2

I don’t think our sim card will snap down to the nano size, I'm unsure how much pressure I can push on it and I don't want to break it.

Called our local telus/koodo store earlier and was disappointed they want $20 per sim card but a new customer with byod can get sim cards for $10!!

Time to call around. Even if we pay $5 more per month with another company, it still works out to almost the same amount if we find something better around black Friday. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I recommend you visit a Koodo kiosk, they might give you a $10 sim replacement

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can also order a sim replacement online https://www.telus.com/en/mobility/accessories/product/koodo-tri-sim

Userlevel 2

Ty ty for the link, very helpful!

Userlevel 2

Just an update in case someone else is searching, I took my micro sim out today and I was able to pop out the nano sim, I didn't totally push it out, just enough to see it was possible!!

Still waiting for our screen protectors and cases to arrive before we use the new phones.

7 1/2 year old micro sim does turn into a nano sim without using scissors, just takes a little playing around with it.