Skip to main content
Question

iphone not connecting travelling in Europe

I have two phones, both on the same plan. One is connecting fine to the roaming network in Portugal, and the other isn’t connecting (it shows no service). I’ve compared all of the cellular settings and the plan options and they seem identical between the two phones.  I’ve tried rebooting the phone. I’ve checked that the phone can see the roaming networks but it doesn’t connect to any and won’t let me manually connect to the same one as the working phone. I’ve not reset network settings since I don’t want to have to set everything up again.  I’m not sure what else to try. 

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there,

for the line that is not working, if you check under the plans add ons in addition to Easy Roam INTL does it also have the international voice roaming and international data roaming add ons? As it will also need these to use the network. Also, what model of phone is the one that’s not working? As it may not be compatible with that regions network frequencies. Some more info can be found in the article too:

Userlevel 1

Yes, it has the data and voice roaming set, although I only added those a day ago. The model is iPhone 12 which is the same as the working one.  I checked the various tutorials and articles I could find and none of the recommendations worked. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Since adding the roaming add-ons did you restart your phone?

Did you have to add the roaming add-ons to the other phone as well?

Do you have Easy Roam on for both?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the phone can see roaming network when searching it should be compatible with travelling country.  Resetting network settings is the most common and easiest way to make sure the phone is loaded with local network settings

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@bandg 

We see that the roaming add ons are correctly provisioned to both lines.

Are you able to test the sim on the other phone that is working or on a different phone in case the sim size  is different? 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the responses. I’ve avoided resetting network settings because I’m not sure how much work it will be to get all of the settings and wifi passwords back on, but if nothing else works that’s what I’ll try. I wanted to test the sim but I don’t think I have anything available for physically extracting the sim tray. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You might just have to get a bit creative for the tool to use. I find paper clips, tacs, or earrings have worked for me before in the past when in need of a quick sim tool 😅

Userlevel 1

Managed to swap sims, and the working sim works in the other phone, but the non-working sim doesn’t work when swapped into the phone that was working. So, the problem seems to be associated with the sim/account, not the phone.