Koodo Community
Question

Got new phone from Koodo and it's asking for a "Sim Pin" code?

Userlevel 1

Do I need to contact a Rep or is there a way to do it through self serve?

Actually the phone can make calls and data works so what is the importance of getting and entering this code? P.S. The phone was a refurbished so it most likely had a Sim card in it before. 

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do I need to contact a Rep or is there a way to do it through self serve?

Actually the phone can make calls and data works so what is the importance of getting and entering this code? P.S. The phone was a refurbished so it most likely had a Sim card in it before. 

Which phone are you using? 

Userlevel 1

iphone 11 pro Max

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

iphone 11 pro Max

Generally speaking, the default SIM PIN code is 1234. Did you try that to see if it unlocks?

Userlevel 1

I don’t think it is locked because I can make phone calls?

I just don’t know why it is asking for it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Someone may have enabled the SIM PIN code to prevent access to cellular data networks in case your phone gets stolen. 

Userlevel 1

Yes well wouldn’t that get wiped on a factory reset that Koodo would do on a Refurbished Phone?

If it was enabled for that reason then why after inserting the Sim does the phone seem to function normally?

Someone may have enabled the SIM PIN code to prevent access to cellular data networks in case your phone gets stolen. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes well wouldn’t that get wiped on a factory reset that Koodo would do on a Refurbished Phone?

If it was enabled for that reason then why after inserting the Sim does the phone seem to function normally?

It does not get removed after a factory reset. If there is anything with the SIM PIN code that affects your phone usage later on, you can reply here and we can flag a rep to help you out with the issue. 

Userlevel 1

Upon further reading on the subject as I understand it setting up a Sim Pin is meant to protect

your phone from unauthorized use by locking the Sim. The phone is working just fine so I am not going to worry about it anymore. Thanks for everyones help.

I just did a SIM swap via a Koodo agent, and my Phone wants a SIM PIN. 1234 did not work and I have one try left. I can’t place a call without getting past that. 

Solved - by a trip to the TELUS/Koodo shop at Royal City Centre. Applause for excellent  service there.