Skip to main content
Question

Going to Europe and using E Sim ?

Will be going to Europe and using an Airlo E Sim, just don’t want to be charged accidentally by Koodo for using my phone while away. I talked to a Koodo agent today and they didn’t seem too confident in their answers they were giving me.   So here I am asking this forum.   What I want to know is what is the surefire way that I don’t get charged for overseas use.  When I get on the plane to leave Vancouver I will turn my phone to airplane mode and when we arrive in London I will activate my E-Sim.  What do I have make sure is turned off / not running when I arrive in London so I am not charged?   And then once I have my E-Sim (data only) turned on what do I need to make sure if off / on and what should I avoid doing on my phone ?  The agent told me even with the E-Sim if I get a text message and look at it I will get charged and my best bet is to remove my physical SIM card to avoid charges.   Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you have a physical Sim card with Koodo or an esim? The surefire way is to remove it. Another way would be to remove “international voice roaming “and “international data roamong” in self serve in your add-ons.

I used an esim service like airlo several months ago and I just turned off data roaming and had the esim be the main one used. I didn't run into issues but some have been unlucky. So I'd say removing data roaming add-on at least and turning off data roaming should be good enough.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey there,

I am actually from Bristol and make the trip frequently 😎 Usually my go to is to remove the sim as I like to be 100% certain, but in your phone settings you can turn off your koodo sim and turn off roaming if you want to keep the sim in your phone. The rest is as you said, keep airplane mode on until you get your ESIM then just use the ESIM going forward. Some more info can be found here too https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/understanding-how-youll-be-charged-while-travelling

Thank you for the quick reply Goran!  Yes I have physical Koodo sim card.  Ok that confirms the agent didn’t know what they were doing as when I tried to remove it in self serve menu it told me I had to contact an agent to do it.  I contacted the agent and he told me that I didn’t need to remove either one.  I guess I need to contact a different agent.  Thanks so much for the info, very helpful!  Cheers!

Thanks Oliver!  great advice!

Do you have a physical Sim card with Koodo or an esim? The surefire way is to remove it. Another way would be to remove “international voice roaming “and “international data roamong” in self serve in your add-ons.

I used an esim service like airlo several months ago and I just turned off data roaming and had the esim be the main one used. I didn't run into issues but some have been unlucky. So I'd say removing data roaming add-on at least and turning off data roaming should be good enough.

Oh one thing I forgot to ask is what if someone texts me at my canada phone number while I have my Koodo sim “off”. or removed ?   I guess I will not receive it until I turn the sim back on insert it back into phone?   or Is there a way to check text messages ?  What if I need to do a credit card verification for a purchase (they often send a security code via text ) ?   

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So you’re right, if it’s removed or turned off you won’t get the text so the best way would be with say Facebook messenger or what’s app. For purchases in person they will just require your card pin like in Canada however per transaction you will pay the exchange rate and bank fees (I usually carry cash for this reason when I am across) also I found only some bank cards will work so make sure your bank is accepted before you leave if you don’t plan to carry cash 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would do what Goran suggested in the first reply and just remove the data roaming add-on to prevent data roaming, but still allow incoming texts and calls.

I would do what Goran suggested in the first reply and just remove the data roaming add-on to prevent data roaming, but still allow incoming texts and calls.

The agent I talked to said that if I were to read any incoming texts then I would be charged , do you know if this is true?  Other places I have read that only if I were to reply to the text would I be charged so I am a bit confused.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The agent I talked to said that if I were to read any incoming texts then I would be charged , do you know if this is true?  Other places I have read that only if I were to reply to the text would I be charged so I am a bit confused.

No charge for incoming texts. You would only be charged for sending texts, answering or making a call, and/or using data.

The problem with keeping your sim enabled in your phone is that from time to time, your phone may have data used in small amounts (to check if it’s still roaming, when your phone is turning on, etc) which may trigger the easy roam charge. If it truly does get used in these small events, Koodo is usually good to waive the fees, but to avoid the hassle and worry, thats where we suggest airplane mode, removing the sim, turning off the esim, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I personally would still want to be able to receive sms so 2 factor authentication texts can still be received.

Just note that restarting your phone may also trigger slight data leakage too.