Koodo Community
Question

Esim activation in USA

• 20 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I am a Koodo customer with an iphone.  I am currently traveling in the USA and am wondering if Koodo supports the use of an esim card local to USA.   That is to say, if I have my phone off of airplane mode will I be able to use the esim from USA without being charged a daily roaming fee as I will still have my physical sim card in the phone.

I ask this as I have been told that if I do not have my phone in airplane mode while roaming that there is a possibility that I will be charged the daily roaming fee.

Can you confirm or explain to me if and how I can use the esim abroad without affecting my koodo sim account?

Thank you,

Jill

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi,

I am a Koodo customer with an iphone.  I am currently traveling in the USA and am wondering if Koodo supports the use of an esim card local to USA.   That is to say, if I have my phone off of airplane mode will I be able to use the esim from USA without being charged a daily roaming fee as I will still have my physical sim card in the phone.

I ask this as I have been told that if I do not have my phone in airplane mode while roaming that there is a possibility that I will be charged the daily roaming fee.

Can you confirm or explain to me if and how I can use the esim abroad without affecting my koodo sim account?

Thank you,

Jill

To avoid any roaming charges, I would suggest you to remove the SIM card from your phone until you return back to Canada. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Basically it’s possible that data can “leak” if the phone gets restarted, as it might connect to cellular and use some data as part of startup before airplane mode or data roaming off registers. Anecdotally, I’ve never had the issue with several types of phones and carriers, yet it seems to still happen rarely to people. The last time I traveled, I used an esim and kept my Koodo sim in my phone and had no issues by turning off data roaming for my Koodo line.

The 100% way to avoid this is to take out your physical sim card. Makes me wonder though about esims and if the “leak” can happen if you use esims exclusively. Koodo has a very small data buffer to decrease these instances, tho I think it should be increased quite a bit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My wife and I have used an eSim a few months ago when we traveled to the US.  As long as your settings are set to only use the eSim for data and calls, etc, we have found the chances of data leakage to be next to nil.  However, like Goran mentioned, I would still be wary of restarting your phone.

Honestly, With an eSim, I found the chances of data leakage to be lower than just turning off data roaming or just turning on airplane mode.  Just know how you will be charged for roaming