Skip to main content
Question

Change from SIM to eSIM and back to SIM without buying a new SIM?

• 29 June 2024
  • 3 replies

I have a postpaid plan and want to change from SIM to eSIM for an upcoming trip to the EU.

When I return to Canada, I want to return my service to a SIM. Will I have to purchase a new SIM or can I return my service to the original SIM?

Also, is the default eSIM PIN 1234?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm not entirely sure what the default pin is on esim, but if there is any, i assume it's indeed 1234.

Unfortunately you'd need to purchase a new sim card when you wish to revert back to a physical one. In the past you were able to switch back to a previous sim within 90 days, but I think with all the added security now, that's no longer possible.…

Happy travels 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Out of curiosity, Why do you want an esim when you travel but a regular sim when back in canada?

Out of curiosity, Why do you want an esim when you travel but a regular sim when back in canada?

I have a USA data/voice/text plan that is tied to a SIM and cannot be moved to eSIM.

I’d like the Koodo service on eSIM in order to receive 2FA texts when traveling while I use the SIM for voice/text/data.

I’d like to move back to a SIM when I return in order to use the SIM in a phone that does not support eSIM.

I'm not entirely sure what the default pin is on esim, but if there is any, i assume it's indeed 1234.

Unfortunately you'd need to purchase a new sim card when you wish to revert back to a physical one. In the past you were able to switch back to a previous sim within 90 days, but I think with all the added security now, that's no longer possible.…

Happy travels 😊

Thank you! :)