Skip to main content

Hello out there,

Starting perhaps about 2 months ago, give or take, my cell reception for calls has been terrible. In my home office, where before it was not problem making calls, now I have to move outside to the porch, and even then it’s not great and I sometimes have to move around randomly until the person on the other line can hear me. As far as I know, nothing has changed - same phone and plan as previously.

In trying to figure this out, I looked up how to get the cell signal strength and I’m currently at -122 dBm. I moved around the house, and tried getting in the car to check the area… anywhere within a few mins drive it’s the same, +/- a marginal amount. Range from about -117 to -128.

I drove into town (I’m about 10 mins drive outside of Nelson BC) to see if it would get better in town compared to my suburb, checking the signal strength all along the way… a bit better, but it still ranged from about -95 to -115, average at around -105.

My phone is a Google Pixel 6, which I’ve had for 3 years. Never had a problem with the phone of any type until now. SIM card is older, I believe, though I’m not sure if those need to be replaced… It looks worn, but in tact with no cracks (online research says that not likely the problem).

What I don’t know is if this is my phone, SIM card, provider towers that changed, or anything else. I never had reason to test the signal before since it was working fine, so I’m not sure how these numbers compare to previous ones.

I’ve tried the following:
 - Restarting my phone (on numerous occasions)
 - removing the SIM, cleaning it and the slot, and putting it back in.
 - Resetting the network, Wi-Fi, and bluetooth
 - Updating phone.

Any suggestions?
Thanks so much!!

Mike