Koodo Community
Question

Transferring from Telus in the USA

• 2 April 2024
  • 2 replies

I manage my mother in laws phone for her in an account in my name.  I am looking at switching from her provider to Koodo to save her some money. I have watched the process for porting the number and it seems easy enough.  

The wrinkle comes in the fact that I will next see her when we are together in Oregon in a few weeks.  can I do the porting process while we are in the USA? 

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Doug Phaneuf 

The transfer process may work if completed in roaming, however it’s not guaranteed as it would depend on the local roaming carrier. If your mother-in-law can access her current number in roaming, and can reply to the verification text message, the transfer of the number to Koodo may go through. 

In case you encounter issues with the transfer, you’d need to reinitiate the transfer if it fail. If it gets stuck, you’d need to schedule a call back with reps for assistance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Note that If you complete the porting now, it means you will leave your mother-in-law stuck with no cell phone service until you get her the sim.  Porting will end service on her sim from the other provider