Skip to main content
Question

10Gb promotional data offer does not seem to work properly

• 12 July 2024
  • 9 replies

The Chat bot utterly failed to understand my question (and provided a lot of incorrect answers) so hopefully someone in the community can help.

---

I have the least expensive Prepaid account (250Mb monthly data allowance) and a 2Gb Data Booster Addon. I have very little monthly data usage so this plan suits my needs.

A few months ago I accepted a free promotional offer to receive 10Gb data per month for several months. Free is free so why not.

I recently exceeded my 250Mb monthly allowance and expected the overage to be deducted from the promotional 10Gb. It was not; it was deducted from my Data Booster Addon. 

That can’t be right because it means I first have to use up my Booster Addon (not free) before it starts to deduct from the free promotional 10Gb. 

Can someone clarify if that’s how it’s intended to work? Because if it is then the offer was misleading.

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you post a screenshot of the offer? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would think that'd exactly how it's designed to go. On the postpaid side, there's carryover data from whatever you didn't use the month before. It's a perk add-on option. You must use up your base allowance before you can use up the previous. But if there's a screenshot of the offer, maybe we can see the terms and conditions that specify that. Otherwise we can reach out to a rep to find more info on the promo to confirm

The promotional offer arrived as text from Koodo a few months ago. I clicked the link and accepted it.  All I see now in my dashboard is this:

There’s nothing there to click and see its terms. All I can determine from it now is that I am 4 months into the offer.

I understand if I have to burn through my monthly allowance to begin consuming the 10Gb promo. However, having to first burn through all your paid Data Booster Addon takes the “free” out of this free promo. The free part only comes into effect after you consume the addon you  paid for. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you post a screenshot of the promotional text offer? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The promotional offer arrived as text from Koodo a few months ago. I clicked the link and accepted it.  All I see now in my dashboard is this:

There’s nothing there to click and see its terms. All I can determine from it now is that I am 4 months into the offer.

I understand if I have to burn through my monthly allowance to begin consuming the 10Gb promo. However, having to first burn through all your paid Data Booster Addon takes the “free” out of this free promo. The free part only comes into effect after you consume the addon you  paid for. 

It was the way Koodo do it. The order for data usage is: Your regular plan data » Booster » promotional usage. I saw several report in the forum. I don’t think they would change it for you unfortunately. Free stuff is at the end.

Here’s the original text message I received explaining the promotional offer. 

My understanding of “10Gb of bonus data per month” is that it would supplement my plan’s 250Mb **base** monthly allotment.  The way it’s actually behaving is like a 10Gb Data Booster **Addon**.

As per normal procedure, existing Addons must be expended before the newest ones as consumed.  However, there’s no explicit indication in the text message that this promo operates like an Addon.  As a result, I first have to expend my existing $30 of data before I can use the promo data. 

All this to say that the promotional offer is misleading because it behaves like an Addon and only takes effect _after_ you consume all your existing Data Addons.  For what’s supposed to be “something special for you” and a “thank you”,  it’s implementation is a source of disappointment, to say the least.

Here’s an unexpected consequence of accepting the promotional offer.

This is the current, revised version of the $15 base plan. It now comes with 500Mb of data (with Automatic Top-Up) instead of 250Mb like in my older version of the same plan.

If I attempt to switch my plan to the revised version of it, this is what is displayed in my dashboard. There’s no mention of any included data (not even for Automatic Top-ups).

If I switch to the next available plan ($22/month), it shows that 4Gb of data is included, only the equivalent of my existing plan ($15/month) fails to show any included data with Automatic Top-ups.

I don’t know if that’s merely an oversight or because the system detects I am already subscribed to a promotional offer and so it withholds offering additional bonuses (like 500Mb with Automatic Top-ups). Either way, it’s an unexpected inconvenience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

My expectation would be that it used data from your base plan, followed by the promotional data, and then your data boosters. 

Are you saying your data boosters are being used prior to the promotional data? 

Are you saying your data boosters are being used prior to the promotional data? 

Yes, that’s what my dashboard appears to indicate.

To be clear, I checked the dashboard only after it had already turned over to the next billing period. My 2GB booster had remained unused until recently (i.e. during the promotional period) when I noticed a few Mbs had been deducted from it.

Anyways, for the current billing period, I will monitor it more closely and grab relevant screenshots.  I just thought someone here would have a definitive answer regarding how the promo offer works but, based on the replies, it seems like it could work either way (i.e. augment the base plan or behave like an Addon).