Koodo Community
Question

Refurbished S21 FRP locked and keeps crashing

• 12 April 2024
  • 1 reply

I purchased a refurbished Samsung S21 5G phone online and when I received it, I intentionally avoided using my Google/Gmail account while setting it up to keep things separate. My first priority was to disable all Google services and adjust privacy settings on the phone.

I eventually had to log into the Google Play Store to download an app.

Logging into a Google Account for the purpose of using the play store is very different from setting up a Google account as a safety feature. Same day,  I changed the pin password to a pin pattern. The next morning, the pattern wasn't recognized, and after multiple attempts, my phone was locked, leading me to factory reset/hard reset the phone. I’m certain I used the same pattern I’ve always used.

I factory reset it and obviously did not think I had some google account set up.  For the life of me, I cannot remember the email I used, bc I made a new one just for this purpose or I used an older one.

FRP locked out. I reached out to Koodo Customer Service and was directed to Technical Support. Tech support suggested visiting a specific Mobile Klinic to verify ownership and they could reset the phone since this was under 30 days and within 1 year. The rep said he’d left notes for the  mobile klinic team to know what’s happening.

The Mobile Klinic I was asked to contact said they couldn't assist with these types of situations, didn’t have any notes and directed me to another location. I was told it’d cost me about $100 for the service.
I called this second mobile klinic location, where I was quoted $50 for a factory reset due to my mistake, without needing proof of purchase. This made me question the credibility of the stores and their policies.

I expressed my concerns to Koodo Customer Service,  it seems like proof of purchase is not necessary when walking into a mobile klinic store and resetting a device for a fee. Because these stores are owned and specifically recommended by Telus/Koodo, I question the reliability of these stores and theft prevention. I just find it odd that I get quoted separate prices and practices.

I am currently paying a tab for a phone that doesn't work properly. I have spent more time trying to solve the issue than using the phone. I’m making do with my old phone that’s hanging by a thread. The s21 frequently shuts off on its own, so even if I were to rely on it solely for emergencies, it wouldn't meet that basic need.

The solutions offered to me are:  pay mobile klinic for a factory reset, but there is no guarantee that this will solve the issue or pay the tab and bonus balance off, and get a new phone. We’re past the 30 days for returning the phone.

Koodo considers this to be a customer error, which is understandable, but with refurbished phones there’s always a larger possibility of errors.

The front line staff and customer service representatives are exceptionally patient and intelligent individual. iMO inadequately compensated for the frustrating job of communicating the company's illogical and limiting solutions. I would never vent my frustration towards them, it’s the executives who truly deserve all the rage bricks hurled at them.

What are my options? Literally dude, I have the bill, receipts and everything, I didn’t even get a chance to USE the phone for more than 3 days, which was figuring the set up out mostly. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Mobileklick is a Telus repair shop but I don’t think they can access Koodo customer account. Not sure if you received information correctly or not.

FRP Locked out is a “anti-theft” method and it was likely caused by customer. That might be why they asked you to pay the money for the service as they might need to use special app/tool to unlock it. I don’t think Koodo rep had a tool to unlock it for you.

Anyway, I recommend you contact Samsung Canada and ask about the way to deal with these situation.  https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/contact/