Koodo Community
Question

Possible to transfer old SIM card to someone else?

• 2 April 2024
  • 7 replies

Is it possible to link an old SIM card of mine (linked to my current number) to another Koodo customer’s number?

I need to help get someone signed up with Koodo today, so can’t wait for a new SIM card to get shipped, but don’t have a Koodo store close by either. So, I’m wondering if we can just reuse an old one of mine that I got from Koodo previously, but somehow get it transferred to a different account.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, once used, a SIM card can’t be utilized for another account I’m afraid.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Asmuel 

A new sim card is needed when signing up as a new customer/subscriber. The new sim card will be shipped if you order online (the connection fee is waived when you order online). 

Did you see the deal online or elsewhere? 

I see. Going to Koodo store might be the only option then, but I didn’t think about the connection fee. I understand the connection fee is waived when you order online, but is there any way to avoid that fee when all we need is a SIM card to put in an old phone, but we can’t wait for shipping?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you have an empty spare sim card, you could sign up worth Koodo and then call to see if they can activate that right away. I have done so in the past but no idea of they still do it.

The safest way to get an account immediately is to sign up in a store. 

Alternatively, you could start out with prepaid and then port the number to a postpaid account at some later date. 

What I ended up doing was adding a second line to my account rather than creating an entirely new account, as there was no connection fee for doing that in-person. Then we can still split it into separate accounts in the future.

What I ended up doing was adding a second line to my account rather than creating an entirely new account, as there was no connection fee for doing that in-person. Then we can still split it into separate accounts in the future.

They charge a fee for splitting accounts. I think it is $50 or $60.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/transfer-of-ownership-town