Skip to main content
Question

new iphone 15 esim

Hi

my wife and I are upgrading our iPhone 11 phones to iPhone 15, and we’re buying them using Koodo tab. Will the new phones come ready to be activated? Like, will the eSIM in the new iPhone 15 be ready to activate online, or will we need to go and buy vouchers? Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, the iPhone is shipped without any eSIM, you can use the current Koodo SIM in it. If you want to use esim, you will need an eSIM voucher. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esim-and-esim-vouchers

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there,

You would need to go and pickup an eSIM voucher from your closest Koodo kiosk or Telus corporate store. After the phones have been delivered, you then need to change your SIM card in your Koodo self serve to the eSIM and then add the eSIM in your phone settings and scan the QR code. I’ll add some links that have instructions on how to change the sim and some more info on eSIM with Koodo 🙂👍

change to eSIM in self serve : https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/koodo-sim-support

more info on eSIM: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/esim-and-esim-vouchers

Ok thanks. So the eSIM is in the iPhone 15 but I’d still need a voucher to activate it? Would you know how much they cost in Canada. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah the eSIM itself is built into the phone, you’re right you just need the voucher to activate it to your number and would do so in the link I shared. The vouchers are $10 + tax each 🙂👍

Thanks so much for the info! If I may I’d also like to ask about getting 2 additional lines added to my account. Once my wife receive and activate our new iPhone 15’s we plan to give our old iPhone 11’s to our kids and get 2 new lines added to the account. I’m a bit confused about this and have a couple of questions:

1. I’ve read about migrating the data of the iPhone 11 to the iPhone 15, but once it’s done, will the basic factory reset erase the iPhone 11 and will it be ready for a new line, or will it need further unlocking?
  2. When I order the new lines, will I need to order them one at a time, and will I get SIM cards that must replace the old ones in the iPhone 11?
  3. Are new phone numbers assigned or chosen for the new lines, and is this done when I order the new lines(SIM cards), or when they’re activated online?

thanks in advance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ok so 😅

1. after the data has been transferred you’re right, the standard factory reset will allow the phones to be good to go. Phones purchased after 2017 are already unlocked to all carriers.
  2. If you order the new lines online, you will select a phone number that they will use and the SIM cards will just come in the mail, you would then put these new sims in the iPhone 11’s. You would order them one at a time.
  3. As I said in 2, as you’re ordering the new lines it will ask you to choose a phone number for the line you’re currently ordering and that will be the phone number assigned to that line.

Hopefully that covers everything but if you have more questions feel free to ask 😎

Cheers my friend! 👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ok thanks. So the eSIM is in the iPhone 15 but I’d still need a voucher to activate it? Would you know how much they cost in Canada. 

To save yourself some money, if you put your active physical sim card in the new iPhone, you can then convert it to an esim following the steps below:

To convert a physical SIM card to an eSIM on the same iPhone using eSIM Quick Transfer, go to: Settings > Cellular > Tap Convert to eSIM > Tap Convert Cellular Plan

• Wait for your eSIM to activate. Your previous SIM card is deactivated when the cellular plan on your iPhone activates.
  • Remove the physical SIM from your iPhone. Then restart your iPhone.

Note: Apple eSIM Quick Transfer requires iOS 16.4 or newer

Interesting! Thanks very much for the tip, I’ll certainly look into this option👍