Koodo Community
Solved

Can I use an unlocked Samsung Galaxy A15 5G as my koodo phone?

• 29 March 2024
  • 3 replies

I have had an unlocked  Nokia .4.2 on my Koodo plan for years, but now after some upgrade,  it won’t send pictures in messages any more.  I am currently getting 4G service.  Will there be a problem swapping the sim card over?  I want the freedom of an unlocked phone.  I’d just buy it outright.  Do I need to go to a koodo store to change the sim card over or can I do it  myself?  I can got to best buy or staples or is it better to go to koodo. I still want to buy the phone outright.  Thanks,  Brian

icon

Best answer by Timo Tuokkola 29 March 2024, 01:32

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You should be able to simply move the sim card from the old phone to the new one and be good to go. Remember that you'll need to enter the correct APN settings in order for data and MMS to work if it's not a koodo branded phone. They can be found at https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=undefined

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have had an unlocked  Nokia .4.2 on my Koodo plan for years, but now after some upgrade,  it won’t send pictures in messages any more.  I am currently getting 4G service.  Will there be a problem swapping the sim card over?  I want the freedom of an unlocked phone.  I’d just buy it outright.  Do I need to go to a koodo store to change the sim card over or can I do it  myself?  I can got to best buy or staples or is it better to go to koodo. I still want to buy the phone outright.  Thanks,  Brian

To add on to Timo, there are different variants of the same phone. You should not have a problem with the Canadian model, but you may find that there are less bands that are compatible with the Koodo network for other versions.

Thank you everybody.   It went very well. I am impressed with the quality so far.   The samsung smart switch software isn’t perfectly clear but I think you can move some of your stuff with the normal settings and then go to custom to move the last of the apps over.  I am charging it from my computer,  should I get the 25 watt fast charger or will 15 watts treat my battery nicer and help it last longer? Seems there is screen protector and also screen protectors for the camera lenses too. Any opinions on them.  And I have to get a rubbery case,  but some may make it more difficult to put on lens protectors on the cameras.   So a world of choice awaits me.   Also, someone said a screen protector that covers the front camera (no cutout) might be a good idea in that it will protect the camera.  Is that for real?   Thanks   Brian