Koodo Community
Solved

Postpaid or Prepaid? Which is better?

• 17 April 2024
  • 4 replies

I’m curious which one is better for Koodo. I currently am on Koodo prepaid and I’m not impressed with data performance so I’m wondering if Koodo postpaid would be any better?

icon

Best answer by MilkyWay 17 April 2024, 17:03

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m curious which one is better for Koodo. I currently am on Koodo prepaid and I’m not impressed with data performance so I’m wondering if Koodo postpaid would be any better?

Both prepaid and postpaid plans operate on the same network. If you are on the LTE network, you may choose a plan on the 5G network to see if that would help you.

Otherwise, you can ask people in your area that are currently using the Rogers network to see if they see any difference in data speeds. If it is indeed better, you can choose to port over to one of their flanker brands.

I am on a 5G Koodo postpaid plan with a new iPhone 14 and it’s ok, but I can't tell any difference from my previous 4G Koodo postpaid plan on my old iPhone 11. Speedtests don't show it anywhere close to what I should be getting on 5G - frankly they hardly reach 4G levels.

My husband with his iPhone 11 was on a 4G Koodo prepaid. He says it was fine but not great. 

I don't think there is any difference between postpaid and prepaid performance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

in terms of network speeds, there is no difference. Telus’s 5G network is still requiring a lot of development, so going 5G won’t necessarily improve things for you. It’s just that in some regions, some networks have better coverage. If it’s a deal breaker, there are other carriers that mayt have better reception and speeds where you are.

I am on a 5G Koodo postpaid plan with a new iPhone 14 and it’s ok, but I can't tell any difference from my previous 4G Koodo postpaid plan on my old iPhone 11. Speedtests don't show it anywhere close to what I should be getting on 5G - frankly they hardly reach 4G levels.

My husband with his iPhone 11 was on a 4G Koodo prepaid. He says it was fine but not great. 

I don't think there is any difference between postpaid and prepaid performance.

Interesting

I’m not sure how many people who have 5G on their phones realize what 5G or 4G is, the G is for generation, 4th generation, 5th generation wireless connectivity…. And as Goran pointed out 5G connectivity is still very much in development, I suspect that cities have the best or optimal 5G coverage since there’s more people than out in the country/county.

Any way, I’ve noticed via speedtest that I get wildly different speed results depending on my physical location, device I’m using and even what server on speedtest I’m connected to. Usually I’m lucky to get 80 to 100mbps and on average I’d say I get 50mbps or less and regardless of the speed that speedtest measures I find that videos I wanna watch will buffer especially if I’m in bad coverage, I’m not comfortable disclosing my exact location but lets say I live in a small town which likely contributes to the poor signal(?)