Koodo Community
Solved

How to add internet to my Koodo phone

• 5 December 2021
  • 7 replies

I have a phone with Koodo, just for the phone calling, but there is no internet on my account.
I was told at Telus store I had to arrange through the Koodo online self serve, but I cannot find out how.

I can use the phone just fine anywhere, but I want to be able look up info on the internet if I am away from home.

How do I get this done? 
Do I need to call someone or go somewhere?
The online self-serve chat is less than useless.

If I can’t get internet on my Koodo phone account, I will have to go to another company?
Am I wanting to turn on the data on my account?

icon

Best answer by JustGayle 5 December 2021, 14:37

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you a postpaid or prepaid customer?

You’ll need a plan that includes mobile data which allows you to access the internet. 

How much data do you think you’ll need?

The links below show Koodo’s rate plan offerings for both postpaid and prepaid. 

Postpaid monthly rate plans and Starter plans

Prepaid plans

You’ll need a plan that includes mobile data which allows you to access the internet. 

Postpaid monthly rate plans and Starter Plans

Prepaid plans

Thank you for you reply!
I have a phone for which I get a bill of $48.15 in my email, so i just pay online.
I guess that’s prepaid?

I want to be able to look up when the next bus will arrive on Winnipeg Transit website.
Or maybe I need to look up Google maps to find my destination and know when to get off the bus.

I will be using for just quick lookups while away from home, and I don’t go out often at all.

Do I need to call someone and arrange over the phone?

Thank you for any guidance you can provide me.

Prepaid plans

When I check online at Koodo, I get this info:
You've used 0% of your 1024MB of data and have 1024MB left until the end of your billing cycle at 11:59pm on Dec 28, 2021. For full details, click this usage↗ link.

So if I have data, then how come I can’t use it?
Do I need to changed something on my phone, or does someone else have to make changes?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Prepaid plans

When I check online at Koodo, I get this info:
You've used 0% of your 1024MB of data and have 1024MB left until the end of your billing cycle at 11:59pm on Dec 28, 2021. For full details, click this usage↗️ link.

So if I have data, then how come I can’t use it?
Do I need to changed something on my phone, or does someone else have to make changes?

Which phone do you have?

In that case, it’s just a matter of turning on mobile data to use it.

Thank you!
I have a blue TCL phone.
I searched around and found a place that said Data OFF I think where the WiFi is, among settings?
I changed it to ON and will try to use it when I go outside again.

I will see about checking online later and see if it shows my usage?
I think in the billing it mentions Usage, but maybe I can’t get updates through the month?

Now, if I don’t use the 1024, will my bill stay the same or will my bill be higher if I use some of that 1024.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you!
I have a blue TCL phone.
I searched around and found a place that said Data OFF I think where the WiFi is, among settings?
I changed it to ON and will try to use it when I go outside again.

I will see about checking online later and see if it shows my usage?
I think in the billing it mentions Usage, but maybe I can’t get updates through the month?

Now, if I don’t use the 1024, will my bill stay the same or will my bill be higher if I use some of that 1024.

You got it! Depending on the model of TCL phone, you should also be able to swipe downward from the top of the screen. A mobile data icon (two opposing arrows) should appear there that you can tap to turn mobile data on or off. 

Your TCL phone should have an option to monitor data usage and set data limits if need be. To do this go to Settings > Network & Internet - tap Data usage and then select any of the following; Set Mobile Data Limit, Set Mobile Data Warning, Change Data Usage Cycle.

If you don’t use any data your bill stays the same. If you stay within your data usage limit of 1GB (or 1024 MB) your bill stays the same. You should also receive alerts from Koodo when you use 50%, 90%, and 100% of your monthly data limit.

Does your plan include (SFD) Shock-Free data? When you check your online account, it should mention SFD somewhere near the data description. 

OK! I think I am set, but will go to the place I got the phone… make sure I have it set correctly.
I will try out the data on…. go to a bus stop and look up a schedule, and then see how much data that used up.
Thank you so much for the 2 opposite arrows icon! I see that all the time and had no clue what it was… now that’s much simpler than trying to search through settings..

For the shock free data, it says online that everyone has that no charge as of 2016, and i got this phone just about 2 yrs ago, but I’ll confirm with the store.
I greatly appreciate all of your help because I am quite lost at the workings of a cell phone except the keypad and talking!