Koodo Community
Question

Data issues

• 26 September 2022
  • 14 replies

Ever since I switched from Telus to Koodo, my data is used way faster, what gives?

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you give an example?

I never ran out of data except once or twice with Telus in 5 years and 3 gigs of data. I have 6 gigs of data with Koodo and ran out every month, 3 months in a row🤔

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Check your phone’s data usage settings.  Does it show which app is using the data and how much data is being used during the periof?

Does it line up with what Koodo has in their Usage meter in Self Serve?

Don’t know as data is used at home too. Why after I switch with double data to boot would I suddenly run out of data?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To answer why, we need to see what data is being used by which app and how much.

Is mobile cellular data used at home or wifi at home?

Wifi at home is used as it is unlimited 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah.  You should be able to exclude wifi data use when checking your mobile cellular data usage in your phone’s settings.  What phone do you have?

iPhone 12

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Go to Settings > Mobile Data
The total data usage is displayed next to Current Period
The data usage for each application is displayed below the name of the application.

The period is based on when you last rest your data statistics on your iphone.

Does anything here look out of the norm?

Data has not been reset, did that now and will watch and see, the browser has the most about 50% of all

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the browser is the culprit, you can reduce the number of tabs open in the browser.  You can also clear the browser app’s data or cache (not that all info from your browser will be lost)

I also am having the same issue, I had only 10 gigs when I was going through public mobile and hardly ever went over. Now that I switched to Koodo I have 20 gigs, and  I use it all within 4 days… somethings not right

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I also am having the same issue, I had only 10 gigs when I was going through public mobile and hardly ever went over. Now that I switched to Koodo I have 20 gigs, and  I use it all within 4 days… somethings not right

Keep in mind that if you were on one of the 3G plans, you would’ve been using data at a speed of up to 3Mbps. With Koodo your data speed would be 100Mbps. That means data can be used over 30x faster.

When you go to watch a YouTube video for example instead of showing it in a lower resolution it would now default to showing it in HD since it has a faster speed to use which means it would use more data.

The majority of it looks like it’s being used by Snapchat, i don’t want to have to shut it off when I’m on data but it looks like I might have to… thanks for your help :)