Koodo Community
Question

data and text only plan

• 24 September 2022
  • 6 replies

I have had a koodo prepaid account for several years. Recently, I have been using up my data boosters more quickly than I would like, so I want to upgrade to a plan with more data included. The problem is that I have auditory processing disorder and never make voice calls, so I do not want to pay for unlimited calling that I can’t use. My current base plan includes 250mb data and unlimited text, but no talk time, which suits my needs. There don’t seem to be any comparable prepaid or postpaid phone plans available. The closest thing I can find are tablet plans that require an active phone plan. Is there any way to sign up for a data plan on its own, or to trade the unlimited calling for extra data?

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Tablet plan have only data and texting is not free. You would have to pay extra for outgoing text. I am not sure if you want to go that route.

Tablet plan have only data and texting is not free. You would have to pay extra for outgoing text. I am not sure if you want to go that route.

It’s not ideal, but I use SMS a lot less than internet-based messaging apps like discord and wechat, so I could manage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can't just have a tablet plan. You have to be a monthly/postpaid customer and you can add this tablet plan.

There is no just data and text plan with Koodo and I don't know if any other providers are  offering such a plan.

You have a $15 text plan with 250md data because of Auto top up?

I know you don't want to pay for something you don't use - your case for minutes. But they have a $30 plan with 500mb (4G speed) plus 500mb with Auto top up.

Is it better to have a plan including data, talk &text for extra $15 to get  1 GB than buying data booster which is 1Gb for $30.

The data I get now is included in the base plan, not a top-up bonus. It’s an older plan that has since been discontinued.

I’m aware of the standard plans currently on offer, but I was hoping to find an actual koodo employee who might be able to step in and make a modification to accommodate my disability. Wishful thinking, probably, given that they don’t even have a support e-mail 😑

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don't think any rep or provider can make modifications in the prepaid plan.

If you need more data but don't want to upgrade your plan, then  you need to stick your current plan with data booster when you need it.

Or freedom mobile have some promo. $4 more ($19) and you can get unlimited talk& texts plus 1.5GB for 12 Months.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/prepaid-plans?planSku=Promo%20Freedom%20Nationwide%20Talk%20%2B%20Text%20%2B%201.5GB

But, it's freedom mobile. You need to check where is your local/ included area and roaming area ... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The data I get now is included in the base plan, not a top-up bonus. It’s an older plan that has since been discontinued.

I’m aware of the standard plans currently on offer, but I was hoping to find an actual koodo employee who might be able to step in and make a modification to accommodate my disability. Wishful thinking, probably, given that they don’t even have a support e-mail 😑

Any plan with more data includes talk and text by default, because let’s be honest, data is where all the costs are.  For a wireless company, voice and text costs them pennies compared to data.

Even though voice is included, you dont have to use it.  

It’s like when I buy my instant noodle and I dont use the sesame oil they have included.  It is a cheap throw in.  

And since throwing in voice to a higher data plan, doesnt disadvantage you, and you are still able to use the services you want to use, I don’t think accommodating for your disability is the correct phrasing here.