Koodo Community
Question

Curent customer upgrading phone

• 24 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi:  I am a Koodo customer with an iPhone6.

Koodo contacted me that I need to upgrade it if traveling internationally.

I want an iPhone SE, but there is an 8-week wait for one through Koodo, too late for my trip..

However, I could get an SE immediately through Apple.

1. Can I do so & transfer my SIM card and info myself?
  1. Can I keep my current Koodo plan?

Thanks, Jane

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Buying an unlocked phone from Apple (or any company) will have no impact on your koodo plan. Simply take the SIM card out of your current phone and place it in the new one. The setup process on the new phone should walk you through transferring any data from the old one as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi:  I am a Koodo customer with an iPhone6.

Koodo contacted me that I need to upgrade it if traveling internationally.

I want an iPhone SE, but there is an 8-week wait for one through Koodo, too late for my trip..

However, I could get an SE immediately through Apple.

1. Can I do so & transfer my SIM card and info myself?
  1. Can I keep my current Koodo plan?

Thanks, Jane

Have you also considered getting an iPhone SE on a Koodo Tab through a big-box retailer, such as Walmart, Best Buy, The Mobile Shop, or even your nearest Koodo or Mobile Klinik store?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If ordering an iPhone SE direct from Apple or any other retailer, don’t forget to order a new phone charger. Phone chargers are no longer included with iPhones.

Your existing 5 watt charger and charging cable for your iPhone 6 will connect to an iPhone SE, but it will take an extremely long time to charge and is not recommended.

The USB-C to Lightning cable included with an iPhone SE will not connect to your existing iPhone 6 charger as it uses a USB-A type connection.

It’s recommended to get the Apple 20W USB-C Power Adapter as this matches the USB-C to Lightning cable that’s included with the iPhone SE. This will charge the iPhone SE a lot faster compared to your existing iPhone 6 charger. 

Apple 20 Watt USB C Power Adapter

There are other options available.

Anker USB C 20 Watt Charger

Thank you very much for this additional information -- I was not aware of the adapter issue.