Koodo Community
Solved

4G speed is abysmal

I switched over to one of the slightly cheaper 4G plans where they reduce the speed slightly. In town on LTE or LTE+ I have no complaints, but I leave town and it switches over to 4G and nothing that requires web access works at all. Text a phone no issue but streaming and apps that require data cannot connect. Unacceptable. Anyone else noticing this? 

icon

Best answer by Allan M 8 August 2023, 23:27

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I switched over to one of the slightly cheaper 4G plans where they reduce the speed slightly. In town on LTE or LTE+ I have no complaints, but I leave town and it switches over to 4G and nothing that requires web access works at all. Text a phone no issue but streaming and apps that require data cannot connect. Unacceptable. Anyone else noticing this? 

That is unfortunate. Have you inserted the SIM card into another phone to try it out? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you said you “switches over to 4G” (because LTE/LTE+ is 4G), what do you mean? Did you change the network mode of the phone?

by the way, which phone model are you using? and were you in an area that you had Telus/Bell network coverage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Recently I’ve been in areas with spotty data reception. Are these places where you’ve been to before and never had issues but do now?

That is unfortunate. Have you inserted the SIM card into another phone to try it out? 

I only have one phone.

When you said you “switches over to 4G” (because LTE/LTE+ is 4G), what do you mean? Did you change the network mode of the phone?

by the way, which phone model are you using? and were you in an area that you had Telus/Bell network coverage?

I was on the highway between Halifax and Lunenberg, and near hubbards beach. I would expect that if the little 4G logo is at the top of my phone, then I have 4G speed. Then I’d start an app and it would fail to login. I have a Galaxy S22.  My previous plan stated LTE but this new one said, specifically 4G, I did my google searching and knew that LTE was a variant of 4G and others had said the reduction is speed was not noticeable. I was happy to find that in the city I don’t usually have any issue streaming movies or using spotify, etc. But since switching any time the phone goes to 4G its basically useless to do anything that requires data.

Recently I’ve been in areas with spotty data reception. Are these places where you’ve been to before and never had issues but do now?

I have not had any issue on the highway (with the 4G logo) between Halifax and Quebec city or going into the valley to Keji in the past. But in last couple of months since switching whenever the phone switches 4G nothing that requires data works correctly. Abysmally slow with webpages timing out and apps failing to login.  I tried a speed test but the page for the speed test wouldn’t open. etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I was on the highway between Halifax and Lunenberg, and near hubbards beach. I would expect that if the little 4G logo is at the top of my phone, then I have 4G speed. Then I’d start an app and it would fail to login. I have a Galaxy S22.  My previous plan stated LTE but this new one said, specifically 4G, I did my google searching and knew that LTE was a variant of 4G and others had said the reduction is speed was not noticeable. I was happy to find that in the city I don’t usually have any issue streaming movies or using spotify, etc. But since switching any time the phone goes to 4G its basically useless to do anything that requires data.

Koodo has throttled data speed at the network level based on plans you had. However, your access to all current 4G/LTE towers should remain unchanged. If you didn’t have access to data, it was likely due to poor signal reception or phone configuration

From your description, was it an area that you were certain that you had signal? Beaches are sometimes in  remote areas, signal reception can be spotty. Attempting to toggle airplane mode on and off can sometimes help in restoring connectivity.

Koodo has throttled data speed at the network level based on plans you had. However, your access to all current 4G/LTE towers should remain unchanged. If you didn’t have access to data, it was likely due to poor signal reception or phone configuration

From your description, was it an area that you were certain that you had signal? Beaches are sometimes in  remote areas, signal reception can be spotty. Attempting to toggle airplane mode on and off can sometimes help in restoring connectivity.

If the phone has a bad signal then it shouldn’t show that data is available. I’ve restarted it, airplane mode, etc. reconnects, shows 4G and then no data.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If the phone has a bad signal then it shouldn’t show that data is available. I’ve restarted it, airplane mode, etc. reconnects, shows 4G and then no data.

How was your call text at that time? Did it go through?

If only data had issue while call and text was ok, can you check if your phone’s APN was set correctly as per this https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

How was your call text at that time? Did it go through?

If only data had issue while call and text was ok, can you check if your phone’s APN was set correctly as per this https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/setting-data-your-non-koodo-phone

Of course it is configured correctly, data in town works fine. So I did take a look at the Network mode and it is set to “5G/LTE/WCDMA/GSM” and while “LTE is just 4G”, is it, really? And it is NOT listed in that type.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How is your signal strength when you are in the area with bad data?  Is it 1 bar?  Is it 4 bars?

How is your signal strength when you are in the area with bad data?  Is it 1 bar?  Is it 4 bars?

Normally 1 but sometimes 2 bars. But I’ll say that sometimes in town I get only 1 bar but I’m LTE and have no issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I know you are focused on the 4G/LTE.  This is a a red herring.  You can have a 5G, 4G, or 3G plan, Koodo will connect to any Telus tower tower, and based on your plan, throttle your speed to that level of service.

From everything I have read from your post and the replies, it sounds like a reception issue.  1 bar is very little reception and within that 1 bar level, it can still vary, resulting in a decent connection in town, but not out of town.

Are you having this issue in the heart of Halifax?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I was on the highway between Halifax and Lunenberg

I was in this exact region last week and can confirm that it’s a reception issue, not a phone issue.

There was quite a few spots on that highway where service was quite low/unusable but would only last for a minute or two before I reached a section that was good.

There’s a couple big stretches between towers (10+km) that just don’t connect super well to get good data speeds.

I know you are focused on the 4G/LTE.  This is a a red herring.  You can have a 5G, 4G, or 3G plan, Koodo will connect to any Telus tower tower, and based on your plan, throttle your speed to that level of service.

From everything I have read from your post and the replies, it sounds like a reception issue.  1 bar is very little reception and within that 1 bar level, it can still vary, resulting in a decent connection in town, but not out of town.

Are you having this issue in the heart of Halifax?

I have stated, several times now, that in town, my data is just fine. Regardless of the number of bars. But as soon as I get on the highway or anywhere out of the major city center and my phone says 4G, I get no data bandwidth at all.  Recently, within the last month or two, I have had the data drop to 4G in town (in my house, which is in the greater Dartmouth area) AND become very slow but it still works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You could try to open a technical support ticket with scheduling a callback fora potential network issue. As you and Allen have said, it’s reception, instead of phone. LTE is indeed 4G, but….it’s weird with carriers. ATM 4G speed plans are capped at 100mbps. It should be the exact same network regardless of the plan you pick, unless it’s the 5G plans that Koodo just launched. Telus/Bell still run a 3G network, but those speeds are well below 100mbps, and wouldn’t be used. But like all carriers, they have been repurposing frequency bands for use with newer gen networks. It might well have been some of the bands got switched as such, or not at all. That part is speculation. At least you’d get technical support l;ooking into it if you open a ticket, and see if it’s some issue with the towers in the area or network frequency reallocations, or something else entirely.

I was on the highway between Halifax and Lunenberg

I was in this exact region last week and can confirm that it’s a reception issue, not a phone issue.

There was quite a few spots on that highway where service was quite low/unusable but would only last for a minute or two before I reached a section that was good.

There’s a couple big stretches between towers (10+km) that just don’t connect super well to get good data speeds.

So there are two bell towers and an old Eastlink and new Eastlink. I’m not surprised now why I would get a weak signal and 4G symbol but no data.