Koodo Community
Question

Why did i get a customer service asking for my social insurance number?

• 17 April 2024
  • 6 replies

I got a phone call from the number listed on the form about getting deals, etc. and I was not interested in any deal but what I was interested in finding out if I was still gonna get the bill credit of $10 so the patch me through a different number. This guy was asking so much questions To verify who he was speaking to. Then he asked me after asking my date of birth, my phone number and also my name he asked me what my social insurance number is. I told him I don’t feel comfortable doing that so I refuse to give it to him. Then he asked me if he can just give me the last few digits and I refuse to. He then stated that I was the one that patched through to him and I said no Koodo had called me. He mentioned about going on through the cell to contact Koodo. I implied I’ll for surely do that. I never feel easy when they have contacted me through those numbers. He wanted to continue assistancing me but I decided not to continue to convo. It’s scary to think that there’s people working for Koodo, who are trying to get personal information. I hope that the last person I was talking to on the phone, I hope that there is information on them since it’s recorded. 

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am not sure about the deals. Which deal was it and for what product? Did they tell you why they need your social insurance number? Koodo should already knew it if you are a postpaid customer.

I’m not too sure what deals they were gonna offer but I told the girl on the phone I wasn’t interested. The only thing I wanted to know about was if I was gonna get the 10 bill credit for downloading the Telus pet app so that’s when she patched me through to that department. No they didn’t ask why they needed it but I wasn’t gonna give that information out. They shouldn’t have even asked. I could tell by the way he was talking what he was up too. They already knew who they were speaking with.  They also asked for a pin which it might be the Koodo pin but I had forgotten that which they told me how to get a new one. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It is possible that they asked for other info since you forgot your PIN. But yes you certainly can schedule a callback to then confirm about the pet app. Or we can flag a rep to confirm here if you like.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @xOxSparklingShimmerLovexOx 

We can see that you were initially speaking with our Sales Team and based on the conversation with them, they connected you to our regular customer service. 

The account authentication can be done in several ways..

The first one is with a PIN number, that is usually 4-6 digits and it is set by the account owner. 

If the pin is not present or if it is forgotten, we have to authenticate via the information used for the initial credit check (  driver’s lic #, SIN ) however, only the last 4 digits for Driver’s lic# and last 3 for the SIN are mandatory to be verified. + Date of birth, Credit Card last 4 digits, if present, billing address, name and other information that might be present. 

Feel free to schedule a callback through the Koodo Assist, in order to discuss any details about offers. 

Thanks for you’re replies. He wanted the whole SIN number then when I didn’t want to give it & I told him I was uncomfortable with that, he wanted the last few numbers of my Sin number. I wasn’t gonna give any parts of my social insurance number over my cell especially with high volumes of scamming going on. I was told long time ago to never give it out. I remembered I might have the pin marked somewhere. If It’s where I think it is, I’ll use only that. I’ll be calling soon about a new phone etc but I’ll be using the call back feature. Thanks for your reply 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If  I’ll be calling soon about a new phone etc but I’ll be using the call back feature. Thanks for your reply 

If you need any suggestion or questions how to upgrade your phone, then this community might give you answer quicker.