Koodo Community
Question

Was this call a SIM swap Scam or not?

Hi there! 

I’ve seen a lot of similar questions on here with conflicting answers so I wanted to see whether I could get an answer for my specific experience. 

On Friday 3rd May at around 5pm AST I received a call from +1 (833) 878-8186 claiming it was Koodo. This number is not listed as one of Koodo’s contacts. I was offered a $25 CAD plan for 4GB LTE and Unlimited countrywide texts and calls. I openly questioned whether the call was a scam. Thus, the caller sent a text message as proof from 6400. I was still skeptical, but I gave my info on reassurance from the caller. My name, koodo pin, DOB, address and SIN were all passed on for this transaction.

At around this point I received an order confirmation email from noreply@koodomobile.com. To reassure me further the caller identified himself as Sumit with employee ID JVRK (included in the email). However, anxiety set in, especially with regard to my SIN, so I hung up. The caller then attempted to call me back twice so I blocked both numbers used to call and text me during the interaction. 

Later that evening I set up both TransUnion and Equifax just incase, but I have not seen anything strange appear. I also changed some of my account information via self-serve just incase. Today I received a text from 470-9 prompting me to “rate the overall performance of Sumit”. I have not answered it just out of fear. 

I am so sorry if this was legit but it just read like a SIM swap scam. I’ve seen people here saying Koodo sales reps ask for SIN over the phone at times. We all feel like we have to guard it with our lives so it’s hard to discern whether or not our identity is actively being stolen lol. If a representative can confirm whether or not I’ve seriously messed up I would greatly appreciated it! 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To make you feel at ease: what you said doesn’t sound like a scam. Did you sign up with the same email address on this community as your Koodo account? In that case, we can flag a rep to confirm your account. You are right to be a little fearful, we’re living in a very dishonest world unfortunately - I personally never give my personal information over the phone, especially if I’m not the caller but the one who picked up the phone.

Edit: since you gave quite a bit of personal information about the employee, I have flagged your question regardless :) Stay tuned!

Koodo has an Information Bulletin on scams to watch out for, but they themselves continue some of the practices that we are always warned about - like cold calling and asking for personal information over the phone. 

Everytime someone posts their concerns that they may have inadvertently given information to a scammer it makes me mad that Koodo continues doing this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@sdoyle Thanks for sharing your experience! They should not have to ask your for your SIN as long as you had a credit card and/or driver's licence. Did Sumit tell you that? Do you already have an account with Koodo?

@Bernard Koodo thanks for getting back to me! From what I can remember he asked for my drivers license first. I don’t have a Canadian drivers license which is what I told him. I offered my provincial ID because that’s all I really have (I’m not from Canada).  He then said well he “needs a form of government issued ID” like a drivers license or my SIN. That’s when my SIN was given. At no point was the credit card option mentioned. Yes, I did already have a Koodo account.

Is there a way you can check the call was sent to me through Koodo’s Sales team so I can know for sure? Thanks for all the help so far! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@sdoyle The email you logged in here doesn’t match any account on our end unless you are prepaid customer. Is that the service you have? 

@Bernard Koodo Yes, I am a prepaid customer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@sdoyle Just confirmed. Indeed the call came from us. I sent off a reminder to tell team SIN is only required for BYOD activations, if there is no DL or credit card.  

@Bernard Koodo That’s a relief! This way of offering promotions resembles a lot of scams really closely so it’s VERY confusing. I mean, if you look at the Known Scams Bulletin, all the questions I was asked we are told not to answer under any circumstances. Maybe it’s time for Koodo to try a different approach. Anyways glad to hear my identity is safe. I’ll try not to be so paranoid in the future lol. Thank you everyone! @Sophia @Lou