Koodo Community
Question

Roaming

• 6 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi there, I’ve never had this happen before. I’m sitting in my house looking at my phone and I get a message that I’m roaming in the US. Has anyone ever experienced this?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Indeed, sometimes the device is going to catch the network on the other side if you are located close to the border.

It's a world-wide situation, since the device settings are set to automatically search for the strongest signal. You can change that in the settings of the device and set it to Manual selection, after it's done searching, you select Koodo and it stays connected to Koodo, even near the border.

I would also advise to keep Data Roaming off while in Canada. This will avoid any accidental charges.

We have a great help page here: https://community.koodomobile.com/plans-services-232910/easy-roam-understanding-how-you-will-be-charged-while-traveling-7811296

For the moment, we do not see any charges on the ongoing bill cycle so the message probably informational only. Charges do have a delay until they show up so keep us posted if you are seeing anything different on the invoice. 

Thx. How do I turn off data roaming?

Hi Darius, while the help page indicates a link for how to turn roaming off, all that link does is talking about turning roaming ON and what you need to know about roaming. Nothing about turning it off. So, can you explain?  I’m not finding the info. Thx. 

Never mind, Darius, I found it. I actually had roaming off, so I don’t know how I received the roaming message in the first place. I did manually select Koodo, so I hope that helps. Thx again. I’ll monitor my bill to make sure I receive no charges. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would just set your network in your connection settings from Automatic to Koodo. This way you will oy connect to koodo's network (u less you restart your phone 

Thx, I’ve done that.