Koodo Community
Question

Porting Mobile Number Internationally

• 10 February 2024
  • 2 replies

I have recently moved out of Canada and wanted to port my number to a VoIP so I could hold on to my Canadian number. I waited until I had my new international number set up so I could get calls and texts forwarded but now I cannot authorize the port without incurring charges for texting internationally.  I am wondering how I can authorize the port without incurring charges.

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there

unfortunately it is a Canadian standard to respond to the text message within 90 minutes. The CRTC implemented this for security reasons so that people aren’t falsely porting out phone numbers to other providers, be it fraud or other reasons. You will have to respond in order to port the phone number and incur a charge considering how you’re already outside of Canada and are considered roaming, at this time I do not believe there is another way, they’re quite strict about the authorization. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Editted: Receiving sms is free when you are roaming but replying to it cost money. If you wanted to receive the SMS, you could enable roaming in your phone. Make sure you turn off both cellular data and data roaming to avoid any accidental usage. 

In the case you would like to bypass the authorization, you can contact Koodo directly and ask a rep to assist. If you are overseas, you can chat with them via Facebook or X messaging. Links are below at the bottom of the forum page.