Koodo Community
Question

Is there any way to retrieve deleted text messages for a legal matter

I have a contractor who just lied under oath about what he promised to do. He was a family friend who I thought I could trust so I didn’t keep the texts.  Is there any way to retrieve the deleted texts for a legal matter?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“Privacy legislation prohibit any carrier in Canada to store the content of your text messages.  Our ‘Privacy Request Centre’ can only provide the date and time a text message was sent or received for the past 150 days.“

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Edit: what Allan said!

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there,

not really no. For starters, Koodo have no access to text messages that a customer sends or receive just because of data privacy laws, it would be stored locally on the phone. Though, if you had the phone messages backed up to their respective account (iCloud Samsung or google) and restore an old backup as they would be saved there, though if they weren’t you’re unfortunately out of luck :( sorry that happened though I know what it’s like they can be scummy sometimes. 

I have a contractor who just lied under oath about what he promised to do. He was a family friend who I thought I could trust so I didn’t keep the texts.  Is there any way to retrieve the deleted texts for a legal matter?

If you have an iPhone or newer android phone there is a chance on android that there is a recycling bin in your text message app and your messages COULD be in there if you haven’t deleted them or disabled the recycling bin altogether, iPhone might have a similar feature, not sure.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

If you have an iPhone or newer android phone there is a chance on android that there is a recycling bin in your text message app and your messages COULD be in there if you haven’t deleted them or disabled the recycling bin altogether, iPhone might have a similar feature, not sure.

This is not a bad idea as it is available on some android phones, unfortunately if you’re an iPhone user once deleted the messages are gone except for if they’re stored in an iCloud backup.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

This is not a bad idea as it is available on some android phones, unfortunately if you’re an iPhone user once deleted the messages are gone except for if they’re stored in an iCloud backup.

Edit: NVM I guess there is a way to do it in iPhone. If you go to messages → edit → recently deleted text messages. By the looks of it it’s good for 30 days but after that it’s gone for good. 

Edit: NVM I guess there is a way to do it in iPhone. If you go to messages → edit → recently deleted text messages. By the looks of it it’s good for 30 days but after that it’s gone for good. 

Neat. I know this isn’t directly related to this thread but there really ought to be a way to export and import text messages on phones that is locally done or by cloud service, whatever the user prefers and not what the companies/brands decide. There is far too much of the latter going on.