Koodo Community
Question

How do i activate my new sim in my new device

• 2 April 2024
  • 8 replies

I purchased my new device which came with new sim. I am an existing customer and want to keep .y phone number. When i bought my package online it said activation fee waved when you use self serve. My problem is im recently blind in one eye and  i have next to no vision in my other eye. When i go through the steps to activate my new device it wants me to add the digits from my new sim card but i cannot see them to enter them  Ive had . phone for 4 months now and i have no family or options to get the help i  need. What do i do ? I have the sim numbers written out on a piece of paper but cant see them to add them in self serve. Im writing this with the help of my speech to text recorder hoping i can get help. I  lost my job because im blind now and i understand that a rep will charge me to help and i cant afford it now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. As well reps who help the visually impaired would be helpful. 

I NEED HELP & AM APPARENTLY STUCK  BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE according to Koodo  bot  chat. Now im counting on getting help from any empathic person within the Koodo community. 

Looking forward to any help anyone may lend. I know not how koodo  community works so im c/p my questions before submitting in case my dilemma disappears after submission. 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sorry to hear about your vision loss. Hopefully it will get better soon.

Regarding the sim, did you have the old sim card? If you are an existing customer, you can just put the old sim into the new device. 

The new sim is an inactive sim, if you want to use it, you have to switch in selfserve. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/koodo-sim-support

If you contact Koodo and claim you need help with accessibility, they should also be able to assist

Dinh tysm for your quick reply. Fist off unfortunetly my vision will only get worse. Medical science as great as it is doesnt have the ability to repair a damaged retina. Its not only burned from a laser it actually looks like a split end and is severed.. so im working with less than 23%  vision in my right eye which look into my nose. The very best case scenario is having a 2 year window before im deemed completely blind. My right eye compensates for my left the more i use it the less time i  have. Anyways my new device is a SGS23 fe which i picked because its much bigger and easier to  see. My old device was a SGS8 and it literally died. Im using a phone from a friend which is compatible with my S8 Sim. This device is a SG A10E.  So i was told that this sim card is not compatible with the further advanced SGS23FE i purchased and why this new sim card that came with new device needs to be used. I figured that (hoped) seeing as these are SMART PHONES that checking into Self Serve and following steps to insert sim in new phone the device would read it. WTH i never saw this coming ( pardon the pun). I have no family i have no help not even a  personal support worker (psw) until i can be declared legally blind  and due to my limited vision I get no help at all. I was informed if i go to a koodo kiosk i will be charged. So much for being a loyal dedicated koodo customer for nearly a decade. IIts not right. Nobody does aanything for anybody unless there is something in it for them. I never would have purchased this phone had i known that this would turned into the hassle it has. Omg i never missed a payment ive been an outstanding customer but clearly the dedication i give is not recognized. I ask nobody for anything and this is another example of why I realize that the only person you can count on is yourself. Sadly since my accident i cant even count on me. I suppose thats what 'Its a viscious circle"  implies ! Trying to learn how to be blind at 58 isnt easy. What it is is terrifying when there's no help.. 

Ty again for replying  and trying to help. i also  apologize for the short novel. 

Any chance you live in the Kinston area ? I need a seeing eye helper. 

Take care. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @TammyB 

Sorry to hear about the vision issues!

Due to security reasons, sim swaps can be completed over the phone only.

We can try to send you a PM via community so we can confirm some more details and further assist. Would you be able to use text to speech to read the message?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The Samsung Galaxy S8 uses a Nano Sim, which is the same size as your Samsung Galaxy S23FE and your borrowed Samsung Galaxy A10e.  All you need to do is take out your old sim card from your old phone and place it in your new phone.

Who informed you that your old sim card is not compatible with your new phone?

At worse, your old sim card may not be able to connect to 5G networks, but, it should still work no worse that your S8 and the A10e

You can put your old sim card in your new phone. 

@FioKoodo

Then why does buying new devices online say includes free activation ?  

I can use speech to text in a community  pm, but if this is all about security issues  wouldn't it be considered a security issue for me to provide you with "details" so you can further assist ? 

I have to log in with my email   and user id to be in community or chat with a Koodo robot that doesnt understand the most direct basic questions. However it does say Hi Tammy asa I enter my mobile number. 

You say this can only be done over the phone  ? 

According to your chat bot it can only be done within my self serve.

I bit confusing !!!!   I spoke to a Koodo CSR via a call back arranged with via  chat robot. 

That csr  helped me with my choices in phones ? When o decided to geet this model He said when i ordered my SG23FE  it would come with a new SIM  thats compatible to my new device.

He knew i was visually impaired. He said everything I  needed  to know  about online buying and free activation. So Im guessing he

and the got a good commission  kickback from the online order platform when i purchased my device.. 

There needs to be a better system in place for your visually impaired customers,if  nothing at all i feel at least one employee gets a paid to be less than forthright. 

I must  have  sucker written on my forhead. Its bad enough i can no longer see but he took advantage, of my disability ! He clearly saw me coming.... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s not free activation.  It is no “connection fee”.

If you purchased online there is no connection fee compared to having to pay a $60 connection fee if you went in-store (which likely is a fee to cover the commission for the sales person in-store).

If you completed your purchase online, the rep over the phone will not have gotten a commission (or at least you would have avoided the fee).

I also don’t understand the sudden change in tone regarding kickbacks, sucker, taking advantage of a disability, etc?  Flo was just trying to give you additional options, due to the difficulty you are having.

But regardless, have you tried your old sim in your new phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sorry for the misunderstanding @TammyB 

I meant that we are unable to assist on the community with the sim swap, but we wanted to find a way to help you out. Sim swaps must be completed in self serve, however, in the event this is not possible, then a tech rep could assist over the phone.

There is also the option to visit a store, however the store rep will still need to call their support for assistance.