Koodo Community
Question

ER/VC Charge

My wife and I were in the US from March 17-20 and we both disabled our data and roaming feature before heading across the the US/Canada border.

My wife got a ER/VC charge on Mar 18, 2024, 06:47AM.  No phone calls, no text messaging and no data were used.  She was connected to the hotel WIFI network so not sure why this ER/VC event happened.  Also she mentioned that she was not awake that time as she was still sleeping so phone shouldn’t have been used.

Any response would be appreciated.  Thank you.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you say she got charged, did you receive your invoice yet? What was the charge? Or was it just a welcome to the US message?

Hi Sophia,

No I didn’t receive the invoice yet but checked online via on the usage and saw the charge.

The charge was for $14.00 for ER/VC on March 18, 2024 @ 6:47am.

She received the welcome message on March 17, 2024 around 10:20am but already disabled her data before crossing the border.

If you need any further information then please let me know.  Thank you for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @actionj007 

Please reply in this thread or create a new once the next bill is ready, so we can look into it.

In the meantime, feel free to check this article 

to find out more about how to prevent unwanted charges when roaming or close to the border 

Hi,

Just fyi my next bill (April 2024) is available and the $14 charge was on there.

Please review as my wife (***940) never used any data in the US.

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What caused the roaming charge?

You can follow this article to find out

Not sure … as mentioned in my original post:

“My wife and I were in the US from March 17-20 and we both disabled our data and roaming feature before heading across the the US/Canada border.

My wife got a ER/VC charge on Mar 18, 2024, 06:47AM.  No phone calls, no text messaging and no data were used.  She was connected to the hotel WIFI network so not sure why this ER/VC event happened.  Also she mentioned that she was not awake that time as she was still sleeping so phone shouldn’t have been used.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @actionj007 

We verified the day of the charge and it seems like the Easy Roaming was triggered by a text message that was sent on the 18’th. Sending text messages will trigger the Easy roaming charge. 

We checked her text messages and other messaging apps and there is no outgoing messages so I’m not sure why Koodo system is showing there was a text message or how to prove this didn’t happen.

Also I mentioned that my wife was asleep at the time of the occurrence so how does this happen?

Lastly, would we just send 1 text message and incur a $14 charge?  To be honest, if we knowingly knew we were going to incur the daily roaming charge then we would have used her data, calling or texting for that whole day.

Please reconsider this charge as we are pretty sure this is an error on the Koodo system and not human error.

Thank you.

Bump

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @actionj007 

Sorry for the late reply here! 

If you wish to discuss the charges further, please schedule a call back through the virtual assist.