Skip to main content
Question

Easy Roam Fees. Yikes!

• 12 July 2024
  • 6 replies

I have been with Koodo for years. I like it. I like the coverage. I like that they fix issues quickly. What I can’t understand is why Koodo’s Easy Roam daily fees are so high. When travelling I used to keep my phone on Airplane Mode until I found a wifi connection. But, that is inconvenient. So now, I purchase eSIMs to use when I travel. I would rather use my Koodo SIM, but the price of roaming is astronomical if I am away for a week or more. 
Is Koodo planing to (downward) adjust these Easy Roam fees to make it more attractive to use Easy Roam for those who travel? Let’s face it, experienced travellers are buying cheaper SIMs from Koodo’s international competitors to mitigate the costs.  It can only be a positive change for customers who travel–and increased revenue for Koodo. Or, am I missing something?

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Since koodo started Easy Roam, the easy roam prices have nearly doubled. Before it was decent for short term use (like day trips), but now I wouldn't recommend it for that either. 

Travel esims are truly the way to go. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there,

like most telecommunication companies in Canada, Koodo try to stay competitive with the other limited options that are available to you as a consumer. Bell, Virgin, Rogers and Fido all have very comparable roaming fee’s to that of Koodo. Unless one provider decides to lower the fees (which is doubtful because well….money) then I don’t see the fee being reduced. From a business perspective too, costs to allow roaming in other countries increase all the time, so I imagine if this doesn’t decrease neither will the fee so that the company isn’t at a loss with roaming agreements with international carriers. So overall, probably not 🙂 If anything it will likely only go up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@FlynnsBoy We now offer (only to existing Koodo customers at this point) CAN-US plans.  One would never have to worry about roaming. And the plan prices are very affordable considering that about 100gb+ data is also included in these plans.

Bernard!

Thanks. I will have a look at the plans you mentioned, but I am also concerned with the rest of the world. 

Cheers!

FlynnsBoy

Hi there,

like most telecommunication companies in Canada, Koodo try to stay competitive with the other limited options that are available to you as a consumer. Bell, Virgin, Rogers and Fido all have very comparable roaming fee’s to that of Koodo. Unless one provider decides to lower the fees (which is doubtful because well….money) then I don’t see the fee being reduced. From a business perspective too, costs to allow roaming in other countries increase all the time, so I imagine if this doesn’t decrease neither will the fee so that the company isn’t at a loss with roaming agreements with international carriers. So overall, probably not 🙂 If anything it will likely only go up.

I agree with your comment, but I think (all) the Canadian carriers are either unaware, or are ignoring the fact that their travelling customers are buying their roaming usage from somewhere else. They (Koodo) are letting other companies collect revenue from their (Koodo’s) customers. As more of their clientele become aware of the huge savings of purchasing eSIMS for travel, there will be a further decline in the Roaming revenue for these carriers. The first one to implement an efficient, more affordable and seamless solution will find more customers migrating in their direction.  The Canada-USA plans are a start in the right direction, but as the fees and the services become more alike, customers are going to look for a carrier that adds value to their offerings.  
Cheers!
FlyynsBoy

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oh the Canadian carriers are aware.  But there are not enough travelers using traveling esims for them to make this worth while.   There are a lot of folks who are not mobile plan savvy and either try to not use their phones or only use it when absolutely need it and pay the easy roam pricing.