Koodo Community
Question

Can i port my mother in law's SaskTel land line number to added wireless home phone line

• 17 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi, we are moving my mother-in-law from Saskatoon, SK to central Alberta to live closer to us in a senior’s home.  She is unable to move her SaskTel landline number to a Koodo or Telus wireless number, but given her age a cell phone would be challenging.  Instead we have ordered an additional line on our account and it is for a wireless home phone.  According to Koodo’s site and typing in her existing SaskTel number it can be ported over.  

We are moving her at the end of the Month and I wanted to get things set up to facilitate a smooth transfer from her existing SaskTel land line to a Koodo wireless home phone.  The other advantage of this is that she can plug in her existing land line phone sets including one we recently got her to help her hear better as she is hard of hearing.  

The one concern I have is the Koodo wireless home phone line (and SIM card) are attached to my Koodo account.  The reason for this is for us to pay her monthly phone charge.  So do all we need to do is to have my mother-in-law’s SaskTel landline account information handy (e.g. her last bill) and then call Koodo or do the online self-serve process to transfer?  Or given that the wireless home phone was added as an additional line under my existing cell phone account with Koodo, it will not be possible?  In this case I guess the wireless home phone would need to be in a separate account for my mother-in-law.  By having her on our existing Koodo account we are trying to help her financially as well as doing our best for her to avoid the paperwork, etc. of starting her own account.

I have been waiting for almost two hours after the time I scheduled a call back at 11:30 am today and it is now about 1:25 pm.  I thought it would be easiest to actually talk to someone, which Koodo makes very difficult.  Koodo assist was useless in terms of this question and I wasn’t having much luck Googling this so I thought I would try the Koodo community.  

The Koodo assist is really quite useless.  

Thanks for any thoughts.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Kroc 

If our website confirmed that the phone number can be ported over, you’d just need to initiate the transfer in self serve using the steps here  (yes, you can transfer the number over to the wireless home phone line you activated, no need to open a new account) and then chat with the virtual assist and type #PortHelp in order to schedule a call back so that a rep can assist with the transfer.

Please let us know if you have further questions!

To clarify, I added a new phone line to my existing Koodo cell account to order a wireless home phone system that my mother-in-law can use, but I pay for.  She is not internet or email savvy and thus I am trying to help her out.  

So the wireless home phone unit I have is assigned to me.  I have received the wireless unit and SIM card with the plan to plug in my mother-in-laws existing land line phones, which she is used to.  So can I with my wireless home phone number port my mother-in-laws existing SaskTel land line number to my account for the wireless home phone we just ordered and received from Koodo.  We are wanting to minimize stress and worry on my mother-in-laws part in terms of being able to take calls from close family and friends on her existing phone number.  We considered getting her a cell phone, but she is 86 and is not computer, email, internet literate.  Trying to learn to use a cell phone would be overly stressful for her.

Hopefully this clarifies things.  Again the wireless home phone from Koodo is in my name but my mother-in-law will be using it in her new senior’s apartment.  We are wanting to port her number to the Koodo wireless home phone account I just signed up for and paying for, but it will be used by my mother-in-law.  

Still waiting for a call from Koodo call back.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Kroc 

Certainly, you can port her number to the Koodo wireless home phone account you just signed up for and it can be used by your mother-in-law (thus, she will become a subscriber on your account, and the bill for her number will be under your name).

The wireless home phone can be transported and used at a different location in Canada, as long as there is Koodo coverage.