Koodo Community
Question

Blocked callers can leave voicemail

• 1 February 2024
  • 8 replies

Why are blocked callers still able to leave voicemail in 2024?

This is a longstanding problem across all carriers in Canada that needs to be corrected yesterday. The rights and privacy of customers must take priority over the ability of others to commit abuse and harassment!

Note: Call Control doesn't correct this problem.

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's the phone itself that blocks. Voicemail is a carrier level item, so the phone just bounces it back on the carrier. If you like, I can flag a rep to see if you are able to block a number through Koodo itself.

You are able to do an extended absence, but that means no one can leave A VM. I don't know if it's worth it to try that temporarily to get the person to stop for a time.

You could try labeling the number as spam as well in your dialer app. Depending on the phone, it could prevent it going to voicemail.

You could also look into app options that could block a number without rejecting to carrier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@WarrenO 

Just to confirm, when you block a number through Call Control, is that number still able to leave a voicemail?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This is a longstanding problem across all carriers in Canada that needs to be corrected yesterday. The rights and privacy of customers must take priority over the ability of others to commit abuse and harassment!

The Call Control feature is doing its job by blocking the call, which is why it gets directed to your voicemail. Assuming that you are dealing with a collection agency, you can refer to the following link to learn how to stop any further calls. https://www.consumerprotectionbc.ca/2022/06/16429/

@WarrenO

Just to confirm, when you block a number through Call Control, is that number still able to leave a voicemail?

Yes. Your phone won't ring but the person trying to call will be able to leave a voicemail, which you'll notice after by the voicemail notification icon on your phone.

I block numbers in both my phone app (Contacts) as well as in Call Control (25 numbers max. allowed).

It's the phone itself that blocks. Voicemail is a carrier level item, so the phone just bounces it back on the carrier. If you like, I can flag a rep to see if you are able to block a number through Koodo itself.

You are able to do an extended absence, but that means no one can leave A VM. I don't know if it's worth it to try that temporarily to get the person to stop for a time.

You could try labeling the number as spam as well in your dialer app. Depending on the phone, it could prevent it going to voicemail.

You could also look into app options that could block a number without rejecting to carrier.

You're saying Call Control – which users set up and list numbers to be blocked after logging into Self Serve on the Koodo website – is being implemented at the phone level and not at the carrier level? That makes no sense.

Again, voicemail is for the user's convenience and benefit, not for abusers and harassers. This problem is listed in forums for all Canadian carriers and needs to be fixed. I simply don't see how it can be that hard.

The Call Control feature is doing its job by blocking the call, which is why it gets directed to your voicemail. Assuming that you are dealing with a collection agency, you can refer to the following link to learn how to stop any further calls. https://www.consumerprotectionbc.ca/2022/06/16429/

Then there needs to be an additional step added to prevent the call from being directed to VM.

Because this is a problem at all Canadian carriers, I suspect it's intentional and by design to appease powerful groups that have lobbied for it to remain unresolved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Then there needs to be an additional step added to prevent the call from being directed to VM.

Because this is a problem at all Canadian carriers, I suspect it's intentional and by design to appease powerful groups that have lobbied for it to remain unresolved.

Have you reached out to your local MP? It sounds like a serious issue that you are willing to bring up to the government. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @WarrenO 

We recommend scheduling a call with the virtual assist so our tech support look into why the call goes to voicemail if the number was blocked through Call Control