Koodo Community
Question

Wrong long distance minute

• 19 January 2024
  • 12 replies

Hi,

It looks like Koodo charged me for more minutes than I used for long distance/ international calling. I ignored previous one. But it's charging me again for 2 minutes when call was made for only 23 sec (call didn't go through actualy and went through the carrier's agent's voice. I disconnected but call was counted). Though the call was not picked up on the other side, I could have accepted the 23 sec (counting as 1 minute) as it appeared in my recent call logs. But, being charged for 2 minutes is unacceptable. Same thing has happened in my earlier billing also. I request it to be fixed. I choose Koodo to save money. Please, don't trick me.

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo counted the minutes using minutes as unit not second. So even if you made a 3 second call, they still counted it as a minute call and charged you as such.

Regarding the call, was there any other call in the current billing? Could you log into your selfserve and check usage for the current billing cycle to see if any other long distance call?

I know that they count minute not seconds. I mentioned 23 seconds. That means it should only count as 1 minute, not 2 minutes unless they count 2 minute as a unit. They was only one call made on Jan 10 in one bill cycle which was not even picked up except some interruption by an automated voice. I disconnected when it continued ringing and that ended up with 23 second call time. There are no other long distance calls made or that has appeared in call time in usage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am little confused. Where did you see the 23second and 2 minutes? Was it in your phone or was it in your self serve usage report or was it in your bill?

As we are customers like you are we didn’t have access to your account. If possible can you post a snapshot where the number of minutes/second showed up? Hide all personal information before posting please.

additionally, was there any waiting period when you are waiting on hold from the other end?

Okay, 2 minutes long distance call time is shown in self serve usage. 23 seconds call time can be seen in my recent call in phone. And about call, it didn't go through. It continued ringing after one interruption which made me doubt, so I disconnected immediately. I don't know what even made it 23 secs, leave alone 2 minutes that Koodo shows in usage. Thank you Dinh for trying to help. But, it might not be easy to understand if you have not faced it or tried to help someone with this issue, which representatives usually do. Koodo seems a bit inconvenient in that. Making a call might cause extra charge. Uggh.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you please login to self serve, download your detailed pdf ebill and then post a screen shot of the call date, time and length with the charge?  Just note to black out any personal info.
Then can you post a screen shot of your phone’s call log that shows the date and time along with the call length?  
This would better show the discrepency

Hello Dennis,

Here are the screenshot of those things. If you can figure out what's the issue and please let me know, it would be really helpful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Let me flag a rep for you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @busy 

We have checked the details on our end and we couldn’t find any issue regarding the usage counted.

The reason of the discrepancy might be that the call timer on your phone starts later. If you still have concerns about this, we suggest scheduling a call back with the virtual assist, so a team member can look further look into it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@busy 

I would make some test calls of various lengths and then compare to what Koodo captures in their usage and then compare to the pdf ebill.

Make sure to take screenshots.

This way you can confirm the differences between your call timer and the Koodo’s call timer

Hi @busy 

We have checked the details on our end and we couldn’t find any issue regarding the usage counted.

The reason of the discrepancy might be that the call timer on your phone starts later. If you still have concerns about this, we suggest scheduling a call back with the virtual assist, so a team member can look further look into it. 

Call timer starts later? I would understand that if the call had even gone through. So, if no one picks up the phone and it keeps ringing, all the time since I dialled the number is counted? Leave 2 mins, even 23 sec is not valid. The call was transferred to a automated voice of Koodo, not Nepal Telecom to consider any seconds. It's possible that there is no system in Koodo to check that because I am not using any long distance minutes and am making a call from regular plan. The solution I see is, I better ask my family to call than make a call myself. I happened to call a US or other province based number mistaking it for local number. And, the same, Koodo's computer picks it and minute counts. I was dumbfound. I can't open voicemail as it is based in PEI. I need to be very careful to save the money.

@busy

I would make some test calls of various lengths and then compare to what Koodo captures in their usage and then compare to the pdf ebill.

This way you can confirm the differences between your call timer and the Koodo’s call timer

I don't feel like doing that. Voicemail also charges the money the same way. I don't have to make any out of province or international call that often. I already got how Koodo plays. Their computer picks the call and makes the call count allowing the call to ring thereafter. The call doesn't have to be picked up at destination by person or the local telecom. Making test call would serve nothing. I don't have liberty of spending money in such test calls. I rather change phone carrier if this problem bothers me. But, thanks for the suggestion anyway. It might have been working fine for people who purchased the add-on for long distance minutes. I was making call in regular plan because mostly,  I just have to call once a month to my grandmother who doesn't have internet. Add-on is not necessary for me. I am furious only because she didn't even pick up the phone and here I am paying for just ringing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@busy

I don't feel like doing that. Voicemail also charges the money the same way. I don't have to make any out of province or international call that often. I already got how Koodo plays. Their computer picks the call and makes the call count allowing the call to ring thereafter. The call doesn't have to be picked up at destination by person or the local telecom. Making test call would serve nothing. I don't have liberty of spending money in such test calls. I rather change phone carrier if this problem bothers me. But, thanks for the suggestion anyway. It might have been working fine for people who purchased the add-on for long distance minutes. I was making call in regular plan because mostly,  I just have to call once a month to my grandmother who doesn't have internet. Add-on is not necessary for me. I am furious only because she didn't even pick up the phone and here I am paying for just ringing.

Right now Koodo is denying this is happening.  A Test call could prove your claim.

I’m not suggesting making test calls all willy nilly.  But the next time you need to make a long distance call, you take the screenshots for comparison.