Koodo Community
Question

Turning on SIM Manager to swith to a 2nd SIM and being charged EASY ROAM

• 10 April 2024
  • 3 replies

I went to Portugal on Feb 15.24.

I have a Samsung A53 with 2 SIM cards. In order to turn off the Koodo card I have to enter the SIM Manager, which means I have to turn off  ‘Flight Mode’.

As soon as I did this I got an Easy Roam text from Koodo advising that I was in Portugal and now using Easy Roam.

I have a second SIM card that I needed to log on to in order to be used in Portugal. I could not activate this wihtout turning off the  ‘Flight Mode’ and consider it bad business practice to charge me $16 for doing this. Can I expect a refund??

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Eh, are you using  esim or a physical sim from Koodo?. If you activate another esim, you need to access data which can be provided by wifi. However if you used Koodo data roaming to activate other esim., you would be charged easyroam. And that was a legit charge

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. You are obviously more in the know about these things than me. I had to take the phone off of  ‘Flight Mode’ to access the SIM manager.
So based on your input I have replicated this series of events here in Canada. 

Wi-Fi , Bluetooth, NFC and Flight Mode are all on when I start this.
Turn off Flight Mode, turn off Wi-Fi

I cannot turn off Koodo SIM as a message comes up to say I need at least one SIM connected, so I turn on the second SIM, then turn off Koodo.

I still pick up a signal momentarily from the second SIM, but as I only activate this with a pay on demand package, I am not charged, just notified.

So, end result is the method I used to turn off Koodo could have been avoided - I think.
Maybe doing this on the plane journey would be another alternative?

There is a question to Koodo, when these mistakes happen momentarily and the signal is seen by Koodo then disappears and is no longer connected, could this be recognized by their system and if connection is less than a minute then no charge is applicable??
Maybe some time in the future……...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @Dexterus 

Roaming charges can be triggered by either a sent text message, a slight data usage or an answered call. This can happen in either a few seconds or more.  When the device is active with mobile/cellular data and data roaming on, it might automatically use mobile data through applications, either active or running in the background, notifications or other and trigger charges. 

It is advised to keep those options off in order to avoid charges. 

We also have a great help page that go through more details here: