Koodo Community
Question

Still Have a PST charge on my bill

• Connector
  • 4 replies

We moved from BC to Alberta in May 2022 . I changed my billing address for Koodoo to Alberta, But I am still being billed for PST. how do i get them to change this and give me a credit?

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The PST is calculated based on the area code of your number though. So if you had a BC number, PST was still applied. 

I know thats why it was .  So How do you get them to take it off my two lines ? Previous closed post says that you can flag this to get a serv rep to take it off  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I know thats why it was .  So How do you get them to take it off my two lines ? Previous closed post says that you can flag this to get a serv rep to take it off  

Well, you wouldn’t be able to take it off unless you changed the number. Not sure which forum thread you talked about, but it has been this way for a while.

the closed post was called STOP PST   

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

the closed post was called STOP PST   

Is this the thread ?

People in the thread mentioned about the same thing. You have to change the number to an AB number to remove PST 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That poster had said they had just switched their number to an Alberta one, that’s why I had said that if they don’t see it adjusted in their next bill that I would flag a rep to get it corrected.

The number has to be changed to change the tax as mentioned above.

Ok thank you! I misread the STOP PST post.  I still think this is wrong and probably illegal to charge BC PST when you live in Alberta. Example, I moved Shaw internet to Alberta and they no longer charge PST !  So why would they allow you to keep your same phone number? .Why not just make you change your # like they use to do ?I would wonder if that PST money is even going to the BC government!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Devices Ordinarily Situated in B.C.
For a telecommunication service to be subject to PST in B.C., the service must be utilized by means of an electronic device that is ordinarily situated in B.C.

Mobile Electronic Devices
Mobile electronic devices, such as mobile phones, are considered to be ordinarily situated in B.C. if they are assigned a B.C. area code (e.g. 250, 604, 778, 236).”

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/taxes/sales-taxes/publications/pst-107-telecommunication-services.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ok thank you! I misread the STOP PST post.  I still think this is wrong and probably illegal to charge BC PST when you live in Alberta. Example, I moved Shaw internet to Alberta and they no longer charge PST !  So why would they allow you to keep your same phone number? .Why not just make you change your # like they use to do ?I would wonder if that PST money is even going to the BC government!

The PST would have to go to BC if they collect it from you. It is required by tax regulations.

Shaw moved their equipment and setup a new service location for you in Alberta so your Shaw service is 100% in Alberta and hence no PST. You could do the same thing with Koodo by switching the number to an Alberta number but you insisted not to.

Yes. You are absolutely correct! I was looking at this wrong. I am paying for a BC number, and I should be grateful that they let me do that with an Alberta address.

Thank-you for clearing this up for me