Koodo Community
Question

Seeking Advice on Resolving Unexpected Overage Charges from US Trip

Userlevel 1

Hi everyone,

I recently faced a surprising issue with overage charges on my last bill and am seeking some advice or similar experiences from the community.

During a week-long trip to the US, I took steps to avoid any overage charges by turning off cellular data and using WiFi calling, under the impression that it wouldn’t use my network minutes. Unfortunately, I was hit with $250 in overage charges for long-distance calls made during this period.

After discussing this with a Koodo agent, I was informed that WiFi calling still counts towards network minutes. While I understand the explanation now, I was initially told I would receive a $200 credit due to my longstanding relationship with Koodo and this being my first incident of this nature. However, a couple of days later, the same agent called back to retract that offer, replacing it with a $57 credit instead.

I am quite disappointed with how this has been handled and will likely switch providers unless these charges can be waived or significantly reduced. I would appreciate any guidance on how to approach this issue further with Koodo, or if anyone has had similar experiences, how you managed to resolve them.

Thank you in advance for your help!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The charge was legit thought. Koodo counted wifi calling while overseas as normal roaming minutes. 

Regarding your communication with Koodo. As we are in the forum had no access to the record so we couldn’t understand what was the decision behind that. Let me flag a rep to see if we can have more information here

Userlevel 1

The charge was legit thought. Koodo counted wifi calling while overseas as normal roaming minutes. 

The agent explained the charge was valid and that wifi calling apparently counts as minutes, which I addressed in my post already. My point is that it was an honest mistake and even with a $57 discount it is still hard to afford an additional $193 to my phone bill. Again, this has been my first issue with a Koodo phone bill in the years I have been a member and I’d really appreciate a better resolution!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I thought wifi calling was not available when outside of Canada 

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/wifi-calling

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I mean, in order to get a better resolution than what you had been presented it seems like the only way would be to try having a chat with another rep and explaining the situation where you were promised to be credited a larger amount.
Each time you talk to a rep, notes are made on the account about the conversations previously had, so they would be able to see what was discussed and promised. Though I am with @Dinh on this one, it was nice that they were even willing to provide any credit at all as even though it was an honest mistake it was a justifiable charge, making it difficult to have a credit. It’s likely after the fact the rep was told that the amount they were originally providing wasn’t ok (as the charge was valid) hence the reduction. But as I said, you will have to try your luck again with a rep for a better solution as ultimately they’re the ones who have the power to add and apply credit to a bill.

Userlevel 1

If a rep can’t help me through this forum, I think I will probably just pay the overage charges and switch phone service providers. I am not up for spending another 45 minutes on the phone trying to explain and negotiate with another agent. I still do find it misleading that wifi call reception enhancement is referred to as “Wifi Calling”, which caused this issue for me. And once again, while I acknowledge the agent’s claim the charges are technically valid, I would have loved seeing Koodo show some leniency to a good customer.

Anyways, thank you to those who took the time to reply to my forum

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @LadiesMan217 

Unfortunately, since the charges are legitimate, we are unable to provide a credit.

We do see based on the last note that you agreed with the second offer made on May 2nd.

If you wish to discuss the charges further, please schedule a call back through the virtual assist.