Koodo Community
Question

Roaming charges with roaming turned off

• 26 April 2024
  • 7 replies

A little frustrated, trying to contact koodo self server (only call back is possible) so now I'm forced to have my roaming option on on my sim card under settings just to hopefully see what's going on.

I was reviewing my bill and noticed that almost every single day koodos usage portion was marking a roaming charge on my end. I have had my roaming off, my mobile data off. I have not received or made any calls. I have not sent any msgs. I'm extremely annoyed.

Koodo assist says no minutes or msgs sent so far, well yeah but your online usage tracker has me down for 15 minutes every single day. What's the use of having "roaming" off if I'm going to be charged anyway. I'm thinking to fully take out my sim now because I'm lost.

And it's all under minutes btw, nothing in msgs or data (one sms received from koodos automated offers one). I've made no damn calls.

Like what am I supposed to do. Now I'm waiting for a call back with my roaming turned on to see what the heck is going on.

And this is what assist says 

Here's my bills page

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The ER/VC call wasn’t actual calls. Those are there to denote something triggered easyroam.

For roaming usage, you would have to check your usage (text, data) in self-serve to see if any data/text was consumed. Sometimes, it was just 0.1MB or something like that. Koodo bot wouldn’t be able to tell via chat.

Thank you for the response. So given that my roaming has been off and my mobile data is off. What is causing data to push through still?

I've literally stopped using my sim now because it's exhausting. Background data or not, if mobile data is off. It's off. So what gives?

I see on the 24th a 0.01 total but nada in breakdown. But still. Doesn't make sense of why it's happened in the first place.

Nothing on sms (one single one received from koodo)

But every single day there is a 0.01 mb something on data. Why. What's the use of having roaming off and data off if I'm going to be charged anyway..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Let me flag a rep to have more information 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @Zainub Rathore 

We verified the days of the charges in the current billing cycle and we found that in 2 of the days April 14 and 16, the Voicemail was accessed alongside a small data usage and triggered the Easy Roam charge. 

For the rest of the days, we can see small amounts of dat usage.

I will include a help page with details on how roaming is charged while traveling: 

Setting the device on airplane mode is an option to avoid usage, you can continue to use the device on wi-fi.

Just to be extra safe, removing the sim card is a definitive solution as well.

Feel free to  reach out to our tech support team, by scheduling a call-back, when the invoice is released, in order to investigate the days . 

Hi Darius,

Thank you for your response, the current cycle when I accesses the voicemail on two days are correct charges. I have no issues with those two. I also accessed it during the last cycle twice and paid those charges. (I have also just noticed there were again small data charges in the last cycle I paid for on two days).

Due to the above random 2 days of small data charges I'm going to conclude I'm very likely going to be charged for the 10 days in this cycle where my roaming was turned off but Koodo still claims my cellphone, which had no access to roaming, used small data via roaming. I hope you can appreciate my frustration as it will cost me 160.

So yes, my problem remains with the other days, the ones with the "small amounts of data usage" - is the Koodo connection not able to recognize when roaming is off on a Google pixel phone? I have followed the methods and kept everything off (minus admittedly airplane mode because that is very tedious since I am actively connecting my phone to hotspots, wifis and Bluetooth devices). It's just a tad bit annoying when roaming is being charged while roaming is off.

I have for now turned the sim off and I guess will just connect with Koodo after my next bill is released to ask regarding the other days that would amount to 160 dollars.

Appreciate your patience and response to my question.

Please note, I have and did all of the below throughout my travel days minus days I had to listen to my voicemails:

If you’re looking to avoid roaming charges altogether, simply turn data and data roaming OFF in your mobile device’s settings and refrain from making calls, answering calls and sending any outgoing texts. Receiving incoming texts will never result in any roaming charges, as long as data and data roaming is turned OFF to avoid using mobile data for any pictures or videos that they may contain

As airplane mode is a secondary, non essential recommendation, I really should not have to resort to that for roaming charges to not leak through.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Zainub Rathore We understand this can be frustrating so we definitely look at customers account and credit back any fees if usage, as you mentioned. is super low on data. Unfortuntely this a global challenge for all carriers as you can see from the sample posts below. 

Once your invoice is processed, and if indeed there are charges that were crreated by data leakage pls let us know and we will do our best to make things right.