Koodo Community
Question

Roaming charges when roaming turned OFF

• 28 March 2024
  • 3 replies

I visited a foreign country whilst carrying my phone. I used my phone on WiFi only (in hotel etc.)

I had “Data Roaming” set to OFF in “Settings->Connections->Mobile Networks” menu from the time I was in my departure airport in Canada.

I still got charged daily for EasyRoam, my bill says “1 minute“ usage on each day. I made no calls, sent no texts, just web browsing on WiFi.

Why was I charged for a service I did not use, and specifically disabled on my phone?

Thanks for your advice.

This topic has been closed for comments

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You would need to turn off cellular data as well to make sure there is no data usage.

As well, when you used WiFi, was your phone switched to wifi calling? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @PeteD 

We verified the days of the charge and it seems like the Easy Roam was triggered by sending text messages using the local Telecom network in tour area. No calls or data usage was present.  The charges are valid. 

Easy roam shows on the invoice as “ ER/VC ROAM/VOY 1 minute” as it covers you for 3 services, voice, data and text. As soon as one of the services are used, the charge will trigger. More details are on our help page here. 

I am not impressed that for a service called “EasyRoam”, supporting “roaming” in foreign countries, a switch called “Data Roaming” turned OFF does not prevent me from being charged. At the absolute best this is poor User Interface Design. To someone paying charges for a service they did not use it feels like deception.

I checked my phone history - I sent no messages on the dates I was charged. I received messages on only one of the days. It seems some or other software on my phone did just enough to trigger the charges.

I am a brand new Koodoo customer, and already I feel unhappy.

Regards, Pete