Koodo Community
Question

Recent Koodo (or Telus) data breach???

• 14 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

On August 12, 2023, all three of our family mobile numbers (with Koodo) received the same unsolicited sms/text message.

This is concerning as the only place all three numbers are linked, in any way, is at/with Koodo (with one number only recently activated with Koodo and we never had before). No other business or service has all three of our mobile device numbers.

As such, it leads me to believe that Koodo/Telus has had a breach of data that resulted in my family's personal contact numbers being taken. Otherwise the only other explanation is that a third party, of Koodo's, has used their access to Koodo's client information for their own personal gain.

Sadly there are no Koodo email addresses to which I can complain about this to, & speaking to a rep over the phone is virtually useless (unless one wants to purchase/change something).

Any other customers experiencing this? Has anyone tried file a complaint under/with PIPEDA and had anything come of it?

Concerned Koodo customer

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s certainlty a possibility. You can post here, and I’m not sure what’s so useless with speaking with a rep? Email would be with a rep as well, or with any other medium of communication. It certainly is your right to escalate with PIPEDA or a CCTS complaint. It’s circumstantial evidence in your exact case, although there was a data breach back in February under investigation. Telus wouldn’t admit to a breach, although it was described as such.

I am experiencing similar with Koodo. I did schedule a call back and the rep was excellent though she wasn't able to resolve the issue. She actually escalated to the team and I spoke with a “ Cyril” he kept saying he understood but I don t think he did? I spent from 10:20am(10am callback) til 11:28am on the phone…I am named on the top of the contract USER. I used my $ to put $ down on the phone in order to purchase the phone and my son and I were both there together. We both wanted my name on his account. He works alot snd waiting for call backs is a lot of time really & not convenient so my name was to be on it. Anyway….I have total permission from son and access to account - my name is on contract as user, but they couldn t help me when i got the call back? …..,Cyril said no promised he’d call me back & didnt……I have been with Koodo for over 8 yrs. same as my other kids…….just not cool business. 

Im wondering if I should take sons phone back( you have 15 days) plus cancel my plan and 2 other kids in family and go with ie Virgin? tabs are paid except for sons new phone

Plus the service for koodo line is not working the best. I always get the feeling others are messing with our service. 

I just got a message from Koodo that this is an old message thread?……since when has 3 days old been an old thread? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Because it's a forum specifically for assistance for a certain issue. Also you say it's a similar issue but that is very different from the OP?so you should be starting a new thread.

There is one account owner. That can be you or your son. There are authorized users. You can be an authorized user as well on the account he owns. That's basically just how it is. If you're not an authorized user or owner, you can't be talked to about the account. This can be done in self-serve withtthe following instructions and more info on what authorized users can and cannot do:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/permissions

I don't believe other carriers are different tho I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I'd be happy to assist with your concerns about your reception but please start a new thread. That especially is very different from this thread.