Skip to main content
Question

Phone Number Change $50?!

My husband just switched from a different provider to Koodo postpaid, and ported in his number. However, his dashboard is showing that he has a $50 charge for a “Phone Number Change”. What kind of nonsense is this? I switched over one day before him and I never received a $50 Phone Number Change charge. Is that a porting fee? It says online that porting into Koodo is free, and I also asked an agent who also told me it’s free. Why was he charged $50? Like me, he was given a temporary Koodo number when he signed up, and like me, he ported in his number from his previous provider. That’s it. We both also signed up online to avoid the $60 connection fee and had the SIM cards come in the mail.

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there,

to avoid issues with porting, reps will sometimes set a temporary number and then port your number from a different provider. Though they usually credit this fee, seems like there was just a mistake 🙂 if a mobile master sees this post, they will flag a rep for you and they can look into the charge. But you’re correct, there is no charge to port a phone number and if you did the transaction in a store or over the phone, you will only see the one time $60 connection fee. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @threehappypenguins 

We have sent you a private message for more info. 

I found more information when i toggled the “partial charges and credits” and see that the $50 charge was refunded. What concerned me was that my husband’s bill is slightly higher than mine and I couldn’t figure out why. For clarification, it says:

Monthly charges:

Phone Number Change: $50.00
NS 9-1-1 Provincial Tax: $0.43
$15 250MB SFD 100 Can Min (3G Speed): $15.00

Partial charges & credits:

$15 250MB SFD 100 Can Min (3G Speed) (Jul 11 To Jul 13): $1.50
NS 9-1-1 Provincial Tax (Jul 11 To Jul 13): $0.04

Other charges & credits:

Phone Number Change-CR: -$50.00

Subtotal: $18.47
GST / HST: $2.77
Total Due: $21.24

What I don’t understand is, where on earth does the $18.47 come from? $0.43 + $15 + $1.50 + $0.04 = $16.97.
$16.97 + $2.55 (15% HST) = $19.52

I have no idea how they came up with the $18.47. It’s incorrect.

Hi there @threehappypenguins 

We have sent you a private message for more info. 

Thanks. I have sent a message back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

WHen you Login to your self serve did you download your detailed PDF ebill.

THe detailed pdf ebill may have additional info.  

It should be on pages 3 or 4, but give the entire files a thorough  review

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @threehappypenguins 

Charges are correct. You see a slight difference in the charges compared to yours, since you both have a different bill cycle and start date..  

Here is a great FAQ to explain your first bill: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/charges-explained

Hope this helps. 

I downloaded the pdf and got more information. It looks like we’re both being charged fees for our temporary numbers, PLUS charges for our phone numbers after they were ported in. Why? Plus, we’re not getting our full referral credits. My mom referred me (she’s with Koodo), and I referred my husband.

Charges for (temporary number)
Partial charges
$15 250MB SFD 100 Can Min (3G (Jul 08 To Jul 13) $3.00
$15 250MB SFD 100 Can Min (3G (Jul 11 To Jul 13) -$1.50
Total partial charges ...................................................................................$1.50
Total before taxes........................................................................................$1.50
HST-NS $0.22
Total for (temporary number), with taxes..............................................................$1.72

Charges for (ported in number)
Partial charges
NS 9-1-1 Provincial Tax (Jul 11 To Jul 13) $0.04
$15 250MB SFD 100 Can Min (3G (Jul 11 To Jul 13) $1.50
Total partial charges ...................................................................................$1.54
Monthly and other charges (Jul 14 to Aug 13)
$15 250MB SFD 100 Can Min (3G 100 CAN-wide outgoing mins) $15.00
Phone Number Change-CR -$50.00
Phone Number Change $50.00
NS 9-1-1 Provincial Tax $0.43
Total monthly and other charges ..............................................................$15.43
Total before taxes......................................................................................$16.97
HST-NS $2.55
Total for (ported in number), with taxes............................................................$19.52

Mine looks completely different, and I have the refer-a-friend and I don’t know which is applied to my account. My mom referred me, and I referred my husband, so I should have $10 a month off, not $4.35 (why $4.35 and not $5?). And my husband should have $5 a month off, not $0 off:

Charges for (temporary number)
Partial charges
$15 250MB SFD 100 Can Min (3G (Jul 10 To Jul 10) -$0.50
$15 250MB SFD 100 Can Min (3G (Jul 04 To Jul 10) $3.50
Total partial charges ...................................................................................$3.00
Monthly and other charges (Jul 11 to Aug 10)
Refer a Friend credit (before tax)* -$4.35
Total monthly and other charges ..............................................................-$4.35
Total before taxes ......................................................................................-$1.35
HST-NS -$0.20
Total for (temporary number), with taxes ............................................................-$1.55

Charges for (ported in number)
Partial charges
NS 9-1-1 Provincial Tax (Jul 10 To Jul 10) $0.01
$15 250MB SFD 100 Can Min (3G (Jul 10 To Jul 10) $0.50
Total partial charges ...................................................................................$0.51
Monthly and other charges (Jul 11 to Aug 10)
$15 250MB SFD 100 Can Min (3G 100 CAN-wide outgoing mins) $15.00
Phone Number Change-CR -$50.00
Phone Number Change $50.00
NS 9-1-1 Provincial Tax $0.43
Total monthly and other charges ..............................................................$15.43
Total before taxes......................................................................................$15.94
HST-NS $2.39
Total for (ported in number), with taxes............................................................$18.33

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I downloaded the pdf and got more information. It looks like we’re both being charged fees for our temporary numbers, PLUS charges for our phone numbers after they were ported in. Why?

When ordering online, your line is activated once it is approved and the sim mailed out.  It is activated with a temporary number, hence the charge for the temp number before you ported in and then a charge for your ported in number.

Regardless, it equates to a charge from July 8-July 13 and then July 14-Aug 13 for your husband and then July 4-July 10 and then July 11-Aug 10 for you.

Plus, we’re not getting our full referral credits. My mom referred me (she’s with Koodo), and I referred my husband. Mine looks completely different, and I have the refer-a-friend and I don’t know which is applied to my account. My mom referred me, and I referred my husband, so I should have $10 a month off, not $4.35 (why $4.35 and not $5?). And my husband should have $5 a month off, not $0 off:

Regarding refer a friend, it is important that you followed all the steps in the right sequence.  For example, the referral request must be sent prior to the line being added.  Did you follow the referral steps correctly?

The referral credits is $5 inclusive of tax.  So a referal credit of $4.35+HST = $5

Regarding refer a friend, it is important that you followed all the steps in the right sequence.  For example, the referral request must be sent prior to the line being added.  Did you follow the referral steps correctly?

The referral credits is $5 inclusive of tax.  So a referal credit of $4.35+HST = $5

It’s all sorted out. Thanks. I found the breakdown terribly confusing, but I see now. Kinda sucks that we’re charged during a period that we can’t use the service.

As for the referral, apparently my husband needed to go here to complete the referral process after having signed up (an agent on the phone directed me). It’s done now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It’s all sorted out. Thanks. I found the breakdown terribly confusing, but I see now. Kinda sucks that we’re charged during a period that we can’t use the service.

As for the referral, apparently my husband needed to go here to complete the referral process after having signed up (an agent on the phone directed me). It’s done now.

Yes completing all the steps for the referral and in the right order is very important. 

I know it sucks that koodo charges when they mail out the sim, but you had to check the box to agree to it during the sign up process.