Koodo Community
Question

Not acceptible charge

I travelled the US with my phone’s Roaming feature Off(Galaxy Flip Z), but Koodo charged Roaming at $70( indicating 5 days). I read thread Koodo advising the customers turn on Air Plane Mode. This advice seem to be rediculous because Turning on Air Plane Mode means stopping all the connection features like LTE,WiFi, data etc. My husband phone(Galaxy S 9 Plus) with Virgin Mobile was turned off Roaming feature at same time while travelling and he never had Roaming Charge by Virgin.

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I travelled the US with my phone’s Roaming feature Off(Galaxy Flip Z), but Koodo charged Roaming at $70( indicating 5 days). I read thread Koodo advising the customers turn on Air Plane Mode. This advice seem to be rediculous because Turning on Air Plane Mode means stopping all the connection features like LTE,WiFi, data etc. My husband phone(Galaxy S 9 Plus) with Virgin Mobile was turned off Roaming feature at same time while travelling and he never had Roaming Charge by Virgin.

You can actually access wifi even when you are on airplane mode.

Can you provide a screenshot of your bill showing the charges? Were you using a lot of data while you were abroad?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It does not mention whether you were charged for data roaming. Can you confirm if you made or picked up any calls and sent any text messages during your trip?

Apparently, I never wanted call or message through Roaming by US carrier and that’s why I turned off Roaming feature in New York, USA. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Apparently, I never wanted call or message through Roaming by US carrier and that’s why I turned off Roaming feature in New York, USA. 

Let me flag a rep to help you out. There may be data leakage from your phone. 

Next time, I think I have to remove SIM temporarily while I travel in the US.

However, this charge is not acceptible, please credit this amount to my bill  if possible.

Otherwise, this new phone needs to be repaired by warranty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Next time, I think I have to remove SIM temporarily while I travel in the US.

However, this charge is not acceptible, please credit this amount to my bill  if possible.

Otherwise, this new phone needs to be repaired by warranty.

There is no option to disable “Roaming” totally in your phone. There was one option “Data roaming”, however it wasn’t enough to avoid accidental roaming fee. You would also have to disable “cellular data”/”mobile data” in your device https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/understanding-how-youll-be-charged-while-travelling

You could check the link to find out how to find out which usage triggered easyroam https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/set-up-and-tips-for-traveling-with-your-mobile-device

Using WiFi, while keeping Koodo SIM card on, could also trigger WiFi calling overseas. That could potentially trigger easyroam.

If Koodo is claiming the user’s data roaming feature on their phone is not how to turn off data roaming, that would be Koodo’s issue to fix, not the customer. Wifi would have nothing to do with Koodo data “accidentally.” What an absurd excuse.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If Koodo is claiming the user’s data roaming feature on their phone is not how to turn off data roaming, that would be Koodo’s issue to fix, not the customer. Wifi would have nothing to do with Koodo data “accidentally.” What an absurd excuse.

For data usage, from my experience the toggle on phones to turn off data roaming, to turn off data, and even airplane mode is not 100% effective in all cases.

As an example, if you restart your phone, depending on the device, OS, update patch, the phone may leak some data during the reboot process prior to the these toggled settings taking effect.

This is a device issue and not a Koodo issue to fix.

The only “fix” that some carriers could do (especially Koodo) is to allow for a larger buffer for when this happens. Like any data leakage under 5mb shouldnt incur roaming charges.  There is not much one can do with only 5mb these days anyways

Userlevel 1

@Dennis 

Hello, I had inquired about how to avoid roaming charges before and I want to confirm that doing the following would be good enough to avoid all charges:

1. Turn  roaming data off but cell data can be left on.
  2. Set network to manual and choose Koodo
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Shimsoolbo 

We have reviewed the details and we see that the roaming charges were triggered by calls, there was no data usage in the period the charges were incurred.

With data turned off, the phone won’t connect to mobile data, but it can still connect to the network when roaming and if calls are made or received, or outgoing texts used, then the roaming charges apply.

Please check the article shared by @Dinh above to find out more about how to prevent unwanted roaming charges when traveling.

Feel free to check the detailed charges on the PDF bill https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/viewing-and-downloading-your-bills

Hi @Shimsoolbo 

We have reviewed the details and we see that the roaming charges were triggered by calls, there was no data usage in the period the charges were incurred.

With data turned off, the phone won’t connect to mobile data, but it can still connect to the network when roaming and if calls are made or received, or outgoing texts used, then the roaming charges apply.

Please check the article shared by @Dinh above to find out more about how to prevent unwanted roaming charges when traveling.

Feel free to check the detailed charges on the PDF bill https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/viewing-and-downloading-your-bills

I was charged for using data when my data had been locked, by koodo, multiple times, using abuse-tactic excuses, such as what you are doing to the OP. “Data leakage” is not what is happening here. The OP followed the appropriate steps to turn off roaming. How do you suggest turning off all possibility of “leakage” by Koodo then?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Dennis

Hello, I had inquired about how to avoid roaming charges before and I want to confirm that doing the following would be good enough to avoid all charges:

1. Turn  roaming data off but cell data can be left on.
  2. Set network to manual and choose Koodo

Yes.