Koodo Community
Question

Monthly rate increased with out explanation in May,

• 10 May 2024
  • 8 replies

I noticed in my May 2023 bill, 2 of my 3 phone plans increase from $50/ month to $53. The 3rd phone remained at $50/month. I don’t know why there was an increase in my monthly rate for 2 of the phones.

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there,

Were the two phones in question paid off and not on a 2yr term? This is a pretty common thread on here as of late but there was a price increase announced on a lot of peoples March bill. I would download the PDF and have a look as this might be the reason.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you check page 3 and further on your pdf invoice what the charge was for?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Not necessarily... I haven't seen any $3 increase yet. I have a feeling this might be something else. 

Userlevel 1

I noticed in my May 2023 bill, 2 of my 3 phone plans increase from $50/ month to $53. The 3rd phone remained at $50/month. I don’t know why there was an increase in my monthly rate for 2 of the phones.

You must’ve meant to write May 2024 ?

I too noticed today, on my latest statement, that my phone plan rate increased by $4 (Not $3).  The statement shows no other changes to my plan.  It has no explanations about the increase.

I received no prior notices whatsoever about any rate increase.  I think in the past I did receive prior notices about rate increases, but not this time.

I looked at my Transaction History. It showed that there was a “Rate plan change” on May 7th.  Obviously I didn’t personally make the change.  Who made the change, and why?  I received no notices about the “Rate plan change”.   This doesn’t bode well.

I posed a question to Koodo Assist chatbot about the rate increase without a notice.  It replied as follows:

In the event of a price increase to a rate plan or feature you subscribe to, we'll notify you at least 30 days prior to the change through a message on your bill.

I couldn’t find a similar statement in any Help documents or in my contract.

It’s too bad Koodo management probably doesn’t look at these or other comments by customers.

Userlevel 1

You must’ve meant to write May 2024 ?

I too noticed today, on my latest statement, that my phone plan rate increased by $4 (Not $3).  The statement shows no other changes to my plan.  It has no explanations about the increase.

I received no prior notices whatsoever about any rate increase.  I think in the past I did receive prior notices about rate increases, but not this time.

I looked at my Transaction History. It showed that there was a “Rate plan change” on May 7th.  Obviously I didn’t personally make the change.  Who made the change, and why?  I received no notices about the “Rate plan change”.   This doesn’t bode well.

I posed a question to Koodo Assist chatbot about the rate increase without a notice.  It replied as follows:

In the event of a price increase to a rate plan or feature you subscribe to, we'll notify you at least 30 days prior to the change through a message on your bill.

I couldn’t find a similar statement in any Help documents or in my contract.

It’s too bad Koodo management probably doesn’t look at these or other comments by customers.

I will be speaking with my wallet. This is enough of a scam to make me leave Koodo after 15 years of being a loyal customer.  

Userlevel 1

I looked at the small print in my Previous month’s invoice, not the current invoice.  It had 2 out-of-the-ordinary items:

Price increase regarding 3G devices

Starting in May 2024, the rate plan price for subscribers on your account that are using a 3G device will increase by $3,

Update to your monthly rate plan

Starting in May 2024, your monthly rate plan fee will increase from $45 to $49. If you do not agree with this change, you may cancel your service without penalty within 30 days of the effective date of the change.

So, I’m guessing my Plan rate increased because I’m using a 3G device.  But, then, what’s reason for the increase from $45 to $49 ?  Is Koodo hoping that I cancel my service?

I’m not used to reading the small print in every invoice.  I’m used to getting 2 emails every month from my ISP (Not Koodo) before they debit my credit card.

Koodo could have avoided customers using words like “unexpected” or “scam” by applying just a little more effort and attention. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Koodo could have avoided customers using words like “unexpected” or “scam” by applying just a little more effort and attention. 

For sure! Even Google sends a heads up via email. We just received one about their security service going up in price, more than three months in advance.  They don’t hide it like the eviction notice in Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy!

Koodo manages to wake me up in the middle of the night once a month to send a text regarding my rollover data - there is no reason they can't text clients about rate increases instead of hiding it in the small print buried in their bills.