Koodo Community
Question

I am stuck and in need or urgent help - easy roam charges and no way to reach a rep!

Hello,
I am trying to understand why I was charged $16/day while travelling, even though I had my airplane mode turned on and roaming turned off. I have to pay a whopping $80 for 5 days of roaming charges showing up as Easy Roam charges. I don't have it turned on and I am still being charged. It says in the usage tab there was a 1 min usage each day. This is impossible because I never received any calls whatsoever, and I didn't make any either. Please help me sort this out as I cannot afford such payments. 

I am overseas and I cannot get in touch with a Koodo rep because they have no service for anyone outside of Canada. I don't know what to do. I am stuck and in need of urgent help.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@rizwan123 Your phone is definitely connecting to local carriers. We can see CMPak as being one of them. So not everything is turned off from aroaming perpsective and data connection is maintained. Pls remove your SIM card while you are overseas as the next best step to ensure no connection to local networks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @rizwan123 

Do you have your the Koodo sim card inserted?

Also, is mobile data turned on in the phone settings?

Here you can find more info about how to prevent unwanted charges when roaming 

This article helps you identify which usage can trigger the roaming charges

How is that possible? I have turned everything off. I have been overseas for 3 months now and only one week I was charged, even though nothing had changed. How can it charge me for 1 minute of usage for 5 days in a row when it didn't do that before for 3 months? 

I have gone through my call logs and text logs, and there isn't a single call I received on the times mentioned in the billing details. None of the minutes or hours match up (yes I am aware of the time zone difference). There was no call made by me as indicated by the billing 

None of those times are in my call log, and there is nothing on the Koodo log as well take a look:

I expanded the March 28th log as an example, and there is no data usage at all, so how is it charging me? this is happening for each day!  

But on the minutes tab it is saying:

How is that possible when there are NO calls made from me at all in my entire phone log. I can't even use my SIM here, so how is it even remotely possible for me to make a 1 minute call each day. Something is not right. Please tell me how I can get in touch with a rep online or overseas

@rizwan123 Your phone is definitely connecting to local carriers. We can see CMPak as being one of them. So not everything is turned off from aroaming perpsective and data connection is maintained. Pls remove your SIM card while you are overseas as the next best step to ensure no connection to local networks. 

Please read my messages carefully. 
Everything was turned off. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

But on the minutes tab it is saying:

How is that possible when there are NO calls made from me at all in my entire phone log. I can't even use my SIM here, so how is it even remotely possible for me to make a 1 minute call each day. Something is not right. Please tell me how I can get in touch with a rep online or overseas

The ER/VC wasn’t an actual calls. It was there to denote something has triggered easyroam on that certain date.

Did you turn off both cellular data and data roaming in your phone https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/understanding-how-youll-be-charged-while-travelling From your usage report there was 0.01MB of data report each day. It seems your phone was trying to handshake with local carrier.

To dispute your fee, you can schedule a call back to your number, or contact them via Facebook messaging (links are below at the bottom of this forum webpage)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @rizwan123 

According to the usage, there was low data usage each day. We do see there was also usage for incoming text messages in some of those days.

If data is not turned off, this may lead to unwanted roaming charges, due to background data usage. 

We recommend reviewing the articles provided in the responses above to learn more about how unwanted roaming charges can be prevented.

Hi @rizwan123 

According to the usage, there was low data usage each day. We do see there was also usage for incoming text messages in some of those days.

If data is not turned off, this may lead to unwanted roaming charges, due to background data usage. 

We recommend reviewing the articles provided in the responses above to learn more about how unwanted roaming charges can be prevented.

How is this possible when on the Koobo Self Serve > Data Usage page there is 0MB used. How is there data used? I haven’t even turned on my data in the 3 months that I have been overseas. This is a big mistake. And why am I being charged for incoming texts?  Isn’t this part of your policy? 

Please tell me how to get in contact with a customer rep to help solve this issue. There is no reason to be charged when there is literally 0MB of data used, I attached the pictures as proof above. What you’re saying doesn’t make any sense.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@rizwan123 You are not getting charged for incoming text.  However if you are receiving them, as we can see, that means your device is not on airplane mode and therefore could connected to the local networks. When that happens background data could still be used for a variety of the activities by all devices .  This isn’t an uncommon situation. 

That said, I see one of our reps made an exception and credited the line.

Heads up, we also see on the account that a plan change took place in December (to a signficiantly lowered priced one) which makes the bill credit fall off as that offer was only valid while keeping that plan. As of next month, unfortunately, this credit will no longer be applied.