Koodo Community
Solved

Flew to US with data roaming off, data off, phone in airplane mode but still got charged $14 after landing

• 14 April 2024
  • 4 replies

I flew to the US today.  Before leaving canada I turned off data roaming, turned off cellular data, and put my iphone into airplane mode. On the flight I used the free WiFi on the plane. When we landed and were still on the plane I noticed the T-Mobile name as the carrier and then it disappeared. I went into settings and verified that cell data was off and the phone was in airplane mode (clicked it off and back on).

I reset my data usage stats and for the rest of the day there was no data usage.

When I got to my final destination and was using WiFi I noticed that I had received an e-mail saying that I was using Easy Roam and would be charged $14.

How do I dispute this? I didn’t use any data in the US.

icon

Best answer by Dinh 14 April 2024, 06:48

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you saw TMobile as a carrier on your phone, the phone wasn't on airplane mode at that moment. I think you might have accidentally turned off airplane mode at some point.

Anyway, was the email saying you actually incurred easyroam fee or was it saying you were roaming? (you were roaming when you saw the TMobile status) Can you log into your selfserve to see if any fee showing up?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @knotimpressed 

We have checked and there is no pending charge for roaming at the moment.

If the phone connects to a network in roaming, you will get an email informing your of the applicable Easy Roam rates, however, if no usage is made, you won’t be charged.

If you notice roaming charges on the next bill for this date when you flew to US, let us know here or create a new post.

More about how to prevent unwanted roaming charges can be found here 

That’s the root of the issue. I had been on airplane mode since before take off from Canada. When we landed I went in to settings to turn off WiFi and noticed the T-mobile symbol briefly.

The e-mail I got says my number and “ is roaming on a USA network. Just so you know! If Easy Roam is active for them, they'll be charged $14/day for the days that they use their monthly plan's minutes, data or texts. “

On self serve I can’t see where the billing info is.  I can see my current bill, I can see usage (which stops when the flight departed), I can see that Easy Roam is enabled for my account but it doesnt show if charges have been made.  Is there a place where I can see real time billing?

Thanks for your help but It would be very nice if I could have a live chat with a Koodo staff member that can tell me what has been billed and verify that I haven’t used any data in the US. Sadly, all customer issues must be aired publicly in this forum.

thank you @Flo Koodo