Koodo Community
Question

Charged Roaming when Roaming was turned off

• 23 February 2024
  • 5 replies

On my phone settings under Cellular Data Options I have “Roaming Turned Off”. However, when I was in Bermuda, despite only using wifi, I was charged for daily roaming. Can you please tell me why I was charged and how to address so that this does not happen again? 

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Please login to your self serve and follow the instructions in the article.  From the step by steps instructions can you see what roaming occurred?  Or at the very least what triggered each of the daily easy roam charges?

I’ve had a look at my bill .

In Sun Jan 26 I have a call from my own number - perhaps checking voicemail or one of my dual factor authentication services calling me? and then the $16 charge. Same for Monday Jan 27, Tues Jan 28, and Thursday Feb 1. Wed Jan 29 and Feb 2 has “MSG RTRVL TM” would this be a text message?  Why am I being charged for roaming for these types of activities? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Easy roam can be triggered by any data usage no matter how small, talk, or sent texts.

Unfortunately The detailed pdf ebill does not do a good job indicating the Trigger for easy roam or what roaming continued after easy roam is triggered.

To prevent easy roam charges you can just make sure Data, calls, and outgoing texts are not used.  Even better you can take out your sim card completely.

To get a better idea of how to prevent Easy roam based on what happened during your trip, please login to your self serve and follow the instructions in the article.  From the step by steps instructions can you see what roaming occurred?  Or at the very least what triggered each of the daily easy roam charges?

Very frustrating to get charged when data roaming is intentionally turned off...I’ll review this article and also try also turning cell coverage off on my next trip. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes please review the article. It sheds so much light on what was used during thar period

I also made a video of the instructions of the article if you need further clarification